Re: [civilwarwest] Re: help with Battle of Chickamauga study

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 9, 2009
      Too often the "does show" is misleading or downright incorrect information. Professional training does teach one how to research.

      There are gifted writers who are trained. There are well-written but historically sloppy books by non-trained "historians."

      The first place I look before buying a book is the bibliography and the footnotes (too often endnotes). If these are missing then I don't waste my money.

      This is not to say that being a professional or even doing lots of research guarantees an accurate book. But it does increase the likely hood of accuracy.
      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      The Civil War can be described as the kudzu vine of American historiography: books about it will grow anywhere, in vast numbers.

      keeno2@... wrote:

      Double-dog hooray, Dave. Write about what you like. I do appreciate the scholarly approach, but mostly, I like to read something someone wrote just because he wanted to. It does show.

      Ole

    • Will
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 19, 2009
        Dave and others,
        thanks for pointing me in the direction for new books on this
        battle...Looks like I will have to buy another bookcase for books on
        the western campaigns of the civil war... Great stuff :) I was struck
        by the descriptions of the first days fighting in which they sounded so
        similar to the Wilderness fighting in the East...

        thanks again
        Will Coffey