RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Cleburnefest

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

      I think it was actually Hardee’s flag…

      -----Original Message-----
      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl Williams
      Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:14 AM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Cleburnefest

      >his unit was allowed to carry its own distinctive flag into battle

      I'm missing something here

    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
        The Hardee pattern flag:

        In a message dated 2/5/2009 10:14:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:

        >his unit was allowed to carry its own distinctive flag into battle

        I'm missing something here

        Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.
      • SDE80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

          In a message dated 2/5/2009 10:16:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, SDE80@... writes:

          The Hardee pattern flag:

        • Sweetsstar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
            It had been the Hardee flag but all the other units have changed to the Confederate Battle Flag at some point.  I forget exactly when.  Cleburne was allowed to keep the Hardee flag as his own.

            Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more.
          • brainbent
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
              For those of you interested, a while back I posted some pictures to
              this group of Cleburne's final resting place in Helena, AR.

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

              > In light of the recent Cleburne discussion, this might be of
              interest from
              > the Chattanooga TimesFreePress
              >

              > Festival to honor Cleburne
              >

              > By Beverly A. Carroll bcarroll@...
              >

              > Online: Listen to Marcy Cirlot talk about plans for a park and
              festival to
              > honor Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne. Comment.
              > RINGGOLD, Ga. â€" It was a long time coming, but the city of
              Ringgold finally
              > got the deed to a small roadside tract along U.S. Highway 41 that
              will be
              > home for a memorial to a Civil War giant.
              > City Council members last week accepted the deed, giving the green
              light to
              > plans for erecting a granite statue in honor of Civil War Gen.
              Patrick
              > Ronayne Cleburne.
              > He was an acclaimed leader deemed so inspirational that his unit
              was allowed
              > to carry its own distinctive flag into battle, according to
              “Stonewall of
              > the West: Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War,” by Craig L.
              Symonds.
              > “The state had to deed it to the city before the (Gen. Patrick
              R. Cleburne)
              > Association could put its markers up,” Mayor Joe Barger said.
              “We needed to
              > own it.”
              > The park was created in the 1930s through government programs to
              put people
              > to work during the Great Depression.
              > Stone walls surround an area with concrete picnic tables, added
              years later,
              > and plaques describing Gen. Cleburne’s deeds. He led a group of
              soldiers to
              > defend trains running through Ringgold and the artillery stationed
              in
              > Ringgold Gap in 1863.
              > Marcy Cirlot, public relations manager for Ringgold Telephone Co.,
              said the
              > company became involved last year.
              > “The Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne Association started the project,
              but they ran
              > into some financial problems and they contacted us for help,”
              Ms. Cirlot
              > said. “It is our 100th anniversary this year and we wanted to do
              something
              > special.”
              > The plan is to unveil the statue during a two-day festival set for
              Oct. 2-3,
              > she said.
              > The festival will focus on history and offer several events
              including a
              > play, field trips and exhibits of people camping and demonstrating
              how people
              > lived then, Ms. Cirlot said.
              > The city has obtained grants of $5,000 and $10,000 to prepare and
              landscape
              > the site, City Manager Dan Wright said.
              > The grants, from a local Civil War foundation and from the state
              Department
              > of Community Affairs, also will help pay for a granite foundation.
              The
              > Cleburne Association contracted with a New York artist for the
              statue.
              > “Weather permitting, we expect to get started within the next
              few weeks,”
              > Mr. Wright said.
              >

              > **************Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of
              all time on
              > AOL Music.
              > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
              ncid=emlcntusmusi00000001)

            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                Nice, thanks!

                the author of the article implies that a 'unit' would have to get
                special permission to have a unique flag, but that is certainly incorrect
              • Sweetsstar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                  If I remember correctly from Symonds book on Cleburne they did indeed have to get permission.  All other units in the Army of Tennesse had changed flags no longer using the Hardee Flag.  Cleburne did seek permission to continue to carry the Hardee flag as his own.  He was granted permission.
                  Susan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                    My question on this article is which October ?  The one that just pasted or the one coming up at the end of this present year of 2009?  Has the park opened already or has it not?  Way back in the cobweb of my mind I seem to remember reading that the plans for this park failed to come about.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                      Aha! a needed explanation!

                    • SDE80@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                        October 2009.   The park already exists, as it was built by the state of Georgia in the 1930's, and is a small roadside area along highway 41 in Ringgold Gap.  The Cleburne statue will be erected there.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Thanks for that information .  It wasn't clear in the article.  I know there was some problems at one time about the statue.  Confederate general and all.  Wish I had known about the park when I went though this area six years ago but then I had just begun my studies of the war.
                          Must get back there after the statue is put in place.

                          Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more.