Re: Hardee's Night March: Battle of Atlanta July 21 22

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4 6:49 PM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...>
      wrote:

      > Bill,
      > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
      > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
      would also
      > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
      have to
      > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
      artillery
      > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
      the guns
      > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
      today.

      > Bill Bruner wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

      I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
      would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
      from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
      time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
      driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).

      Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
      trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
      nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
      my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.

      Bill Bruner

      > > <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
      wrote:

      > > > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
      > > relying "solely
      > > > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.
      > >
      > > Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route
      that
      > > Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
      > > impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
      > > unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.
      > >
      > > The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as
      Bates
      > > and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or
      in the
      > > ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume
      no
      > > artillery was taken.
      > >
      > > Thanks again
      > > Bill Bruner

    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5 8:10 AM
        Bill,
        I can't agree more that visiting the site of this battle, or others
        for that matter, is much more compelling than even can be imagined.
        IMHO it's almost essential to understanding what the men encountered
        and why things turned out the way they did. Visiting the Battle of
        Atlanta takes more initiative than many others because the routes are
        not laid out and one must navigate a modern landscape imposed on that
        of 1864. I did notice that the State of Georgia has put up markers at
        certain strategic locations.

        Pat-estelle

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Bill,
        > > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
        > > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
        > would also
        > > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
        > have to
        > > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
        > artillery
        > > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
        > the guns
        > > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
        > today.
        > >

        > > Bill Bruner wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
        > would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
        > from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
        > time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
        > driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).
        >
        > Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
        > trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
        > nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
        > my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.
        >
        > Bill Bruner

        lling than