Re: Hardee's Night March: Battle of Atlanta July 21 22

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:

      > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
      relying "solely
      > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.

      Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route that
      Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
      impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
      unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.

      The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as Bates
      and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or in the
      ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume no
      artillery was taken.

      Thanks again
      Bill Bruner
    • Patricia Swan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
        Bill,
        I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
        terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees would also
        make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely have to
        chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used artillery
        effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that the guns
        encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up today.

        Bill Bruner wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
        > relying "solely
        > > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.
        >
        > Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route that
        > Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
        > impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
        > unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.
        >
        > The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as Bates
        > and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or in the
        > ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume no
        > artillery was taken.
        >
        > Thanks again
        > Bill Bruner

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:

          > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
          relying "solely
          > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.

          That makes sense. Civil War artillery is usually used defensively. Pre-
          attack bombardments give away the element of surprise and are seldom
          effective anyway. Plus artillery has a difficult time changing fields
          of fire, directions and targets during an attack.

          But on the defensive? I'll take a battery of napoleons any day...

          HankC
        • Bill Bruner
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
            wrote:

            > Bill,
            > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
            > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
            would also
            > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
            have to
            > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
            artillery
            > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
            the guns
            > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
            today.

            > Bill Bruner wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

            I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
            would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
            from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
            time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
            driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).

            Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
            trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
            nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
            my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.

            Bill Bruner

            > > <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
            wrote:

            > > > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
            > > relying "solely
            > > > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.
            > >
            > > Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route
            that
            > > Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
            > > impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
            > > unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.
            > >
            > > The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as
            Bates
            > > and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or
            in the
            > > ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume
            no
            > > artillery was taken.
            > >
            > > Thanks again
            > > Bill Bruner

          • swan_pat_estelle
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
              Bill,
              I can't agree more that visiting the site of this battle, or others
              for that matter, is much more compelling than even can be imagined.
              IMHO it's almost essential to understanding what the men encountered
              and why things turned out the way they did. Visiting the Battle of
              Atlanta takes more initiative than many others because the routes are
              not laid out and one must navigate a modern landscape imposed on that
              of 1864. I did notice that the State of Georgia has put up markers at
              certain strategic locations.

              Pat-estelle

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Bill,
              > > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
              > > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
              > would also
              > > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
              > have to
              > > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
              > artillery
              > > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
              > the guns
              > > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
              > today.
              > >

              > > Bill Bruner wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              >

              > I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
              > would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
              > from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
              > time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
              > driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).
              >
              > Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
              > trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
              > nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
              > my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.
              >
              > Bill Bruner

              lling than