Hardee's Night March: Battle of Atlanta July 21 22

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
      Does anyone know what artillery, if any, Hardee took with him?

      Bill Bruner
    • Patricia Swan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
        Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were relying "solely
        on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
          In a message dated 2/3/2009 11:32:55 A.M. Central Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:
          Does anyone know what artillery, if any, Hardee took with him?

          Haven't the foggiest, Bill. But I'm confident that someone knows.

          ken

          Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499.
        • Bill Bruner
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:

            > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
            relying "solely
            > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.

            Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route that
            Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
            impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
            unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.

            The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as Bates
            and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or in the
            ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume no
            artillery was taken.

            Thanks again
            Bill Bruner
          • Patricia Swan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
              Bill,
              I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
              terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees would also
              make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely have to
              chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used artillery
              effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that the guns
              encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up today.

              Bill Bruner wrote:

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
              > relying "solely
              > > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.
              >
              > Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route that
              > Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
              > impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
              > unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.
              >
              > The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as Bates
              > and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or in the
              > ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume no
              > artillery was taken.
              >
              > Thanks again
              > Bill Bruner

            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@...> wrote:

                > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
                relying "solely
                > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.

                That makes sense. Civil War artillery is usually used defensively. Pre-
                attack bombardments give away the element of surprise and are seldom
                effective anyway. Plus artillery has a difficult time changing fields
                of fire, directions and targets during an attack.

                But on the defensive? I'll take a battery of napoleons any day...

                HankC
              • Bill Bruner
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2009
                  wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
                  > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
                  would also
                  > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
                  have to
                  > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
                  artillery
                  > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
                  the guns
                  > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
                  today.

                  > Bill Bruner wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                  I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
                  would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
                  from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
                  time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
                  driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).

                  Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
                  trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
                  nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
                  my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.

                  Bill Bruner

                  > > <mailto:civilwarwest%40yahoogroups.com>, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > Castel says that Bates and Walker during the attack were
                  > > relying "solely
                  > > > on small arms." Doesn't seem to comment about others.
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for your response. I have recently driven the route
                  that
                  > > Hardee took and can see why artillery could have been a serious
                  > > impediment though I'm sure it would have come in handy when he
                  > > unexpectedly encountered Sweeny.
                  > >
                  > > The only "other" was Cleburne. His march was as difficult as
                  Bates
                  > > and Walker's and I saw no mention of artillery in his march or
                  in the
                  > > ensuing battle. So until otherwise informed I am going to assume
                  no
                  > > artillery was taken.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again
                  > > Bill Bruner

                • swan_pat_estelle
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Bill,
                    I can't agree more that visiting the site of this battle, or others
                    for that matter, is much more compelling than even can be imagined.
                    IMHO it's almost essential to understanding what the men encountered
                    and why things turned out the way they did. Visiting the Battle of
                    Atlanta takes more initiative than many others because the routes are
                    not laid out and one must navigate a modern landscape imposed on that
                    of 1864. I did notice that the State of Georgia has put up markers at
                    certain strategic locations.

                    Pat-estelle

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...> wrote:

                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Swan <pbswan@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bill,
                    > > I believe also that they speak of how heavily wooded parts of the
                    > > terrain were and I agree with you that it's hilly. The trees
                    > would also
                    > > make bringing up cannon more difficult as the men would likely
                    > have to
                    > > chop their way through sections. Certain Cleburne often used
                    > artillery
                    > > effectively, so no mention of his use at B of A might mean that
                    > the guns
                    > > encountered impediments. It's sad that the area is so built up
                    > today.
                    > >

                    > > Bill Bruner wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                    >

                    > I find it difficult if not impossible to imagine what the terrain
                    > would have been like in 1864. (I had mapped out a much shorter route
                    > from modern maps only to discover these roads did not exist at the
                    > time.) I did not notice the route being espeacially hilly, but I was
                    > driving a modern truck on modern hwys (some not so).
                    >
                    > Perhaps it is sad that the area is so built up. Yet I found the
                    > trip quite compelling. For me it combined a sense of discovery and
                    > nostalgia at the same time. Many of the landmarks were familiar from
                    > my childhood but some of the detours were very unexpected.
                    >
                    > Bill Bruner

                    lling than