Re: Sesquicentennial Commemoration

  • guitarmandanga
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Mills" <kkamills@...> wrote:

      > I would have to disagree. The Civil War today is big business with
      throngs
      > of fans. The fan base between now and the Centennial celebrations are
      > vastly different and with such a large following now, the money to be
      made
      > from having any celebrations, I would expect much now.

      Well, we've only got two years left, but here in Georgia it's pretty
      much business as usual; no particular mention of any sesquecentennial
      initiative that I know of. I think this will probably be a state-by-
      state matter (funny how that sounds in this context, isn't it?) rather
      than a national thing.

      The one thing to keep in mind is the political/social climate at the
      time of the centennial. Most students of that aborted celebration
      point out how the rise of the civil rights movement, and the Fed'l
      gov't's movements towards enforcing integration, ended up creating a
      climate of suspiscion and distrust on the part of the former
      Confederate state gov'ts. What was intended to be a national
      commemoration ended up becoming extremely sectional (much like the lead
      up to the actual war itself), with different parts of the country (but
      especially the South) not wanting any "outside" interpretation of those
      events to influence their own particular commemorations.

      You could say we've come a long way since then, but keep in mind that
      we just elected our first black president. It remains to be seen how
      the events of the next few years, and especially the new president's
      take on the sesquecentennial celebration, will affect the ultimate
      outcome. To me, all the cards are still on the table.