Re: [civilwarwest] Sesquicentennial Commemoration

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2009
      In a message dated 1/25/2009 5:16:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:
      Will Tennessee and other states of the Western Theater mark the
      sesquicentennial of the Civil War, or will Virginia be by far the most
      active state in doing so?
      Tennessee has a Sesquicentennial Commission.   Exactly what will be done is still in the planning stage, and the state budget is such that I wouldn't expect too much.

      Sam Elliott

      Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.
    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2009
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/25/2009 5:16:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        > pbswan@... writes:
        >
        > Will Tennessee and other states of the Western Theater mark the
        > sesquicentennial of the Civil War, or will Virginia be by far the most
        > active state in doing so?
        >

        > Tennessee has a Sesquicentennial Commission. Exactly what will be
        done is
        > still in the planning stage, and the state budget is such that I
        wouldn't
        > expect too much.
        >
        > Sam Elliott

        Sam,
        How might I find their website? Somehow I can't get Google to give it
        to me.
        Thank you.
        PB Swan

        (http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)

      • SDE80@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2009
          In a message dated 1/25/2009 5:38:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:
          In a message dated 1/25/2009 5:16:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > pbswan@... writes:
          >
          > Will Tennessee and other states of the Western Theater mark the
          > sesquicentennial of the Civil War, or will Virginia be by far the most
          > active state in doing so?
          >

          > Tennessee has a Sesquicentennial Commission. Exactly what will be
          done is
          > still in the planning stage, and the state budget is such that I
          wouldn't
          > expect too much.
          >
          > Sam Elliott

          Sam,
          How might I find their website? Somehow I can't get Google to give it
          to me.
          Thank you.
          PB Swan

          I'm not sure they are at that stage yet.

          Sam

          Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your credit score.
        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
            Considering how little was done for the centennial of the Civil War, I
            would not expect much now.
          • The Mills
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009

              I would have to disagree.  The Civil War today is big business with throngs of fans.  The fan base between now and the Centennial celebrations are vastly different and with such a large following now, the money to be made from having any celebrations, I would expect much now.

              Thanks

              Andy

              Considering how little was done for the centennial of the Civil War, I
              would not expect much now.

            • guitarmandanga
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2009
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Mills" <kkamills@...> wrote:

                > I would have to disagree. The Civil War today is big business with
                throngs
                > of fans. The fan base between now and the Centennial celebrations are
                > vastly different and with such a large following now, the money to be
                made
                > from having any celebrations, I would expect much now.

                Well, we've only got two years left, but here in Georgia it's pretty
                much business as usual; no particular mention of any sesquecentennial
                initiative that I know of. I think this will probably be a state-by-
                state matter (funny how that sounds in this context, isn't it?) rather
                than a national thing.

                The one thing to keep in mind is the political/social climate at the
                time of the centennial. Most students of that aborted celebration
                point out how the rise of the civil rights movement, and the Fed'l
                gov't's movements towards enforcing integration, ended up creating a
                climate of suspiscion and distrust on the part of the former
                Confederate state gov'ts. What was intended to be a national
                commemoration ended up becoming extremely sectional (much like the lead
                up to the actual war itself), with different parts of the country (but
                especially the South) not wanting any "outside" interpretation of those
                events to influence their own particular commemorations.

                You could say we've come a long way since then, but keep in mind that
                we just elected our first black president. It remains to be seen how
                the events of the next few years, and especially the new president's
                take on the sesquecentennial celebration, will affect the ultimate
                outcome. To me, all the cards are still on the table.