Re: Gatling gun on an ironclad?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009

      > In a message dated 1/10/2009 5:26:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      > carlw4514@... writes:
      >
      > I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.
      >

      > When the subject was first raised, my first thought was the snipers
      who
      > fired on all Union ships from the banks of the Mississippi. A
      little strafing
      > from a Gatlin could have been used to depress that sort of
      activity. But then,
      > what's the use of the equivalent of an entire regiment loosing a
      volley against
      > a puff of smoke? You keep his head down until you're out of range.
      Not
      > exactly cost effective. Not a real deterrent so long as the sniper
      has a rock or a
      > large tree to duck behind after his damage has been done.

      similar to my thoughts, ole...

      Ironclads are not anti-personnel weapons. They are built to seek out
      and destroy enemy ships, hence they throw 60, 120 even 350 pound
      rounds. An enemy ship is a target; a lone enemy gunman is a waste of
      ammunition.

      That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
      providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...

      HankC
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009
        I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
        purchased one

        > That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
        > providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...
        >

        > HankC

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 13, 2009

          > I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
          > purchased one

          I often wonder that of many purchases of the 'latest and greatest' ;)

          HankC