Re: Gatling gun on an ironclad?

  • bango1375
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gorski <amhistoryguy@...>
      wrote:

      > The Gatling gun prior to 1865 had many problems. Among
      > them, often the bores of the six barrels failed to align with the
      > chambers. The U.S. Army purchased NONE of Gatling's guns.
      > This may have also been due to the falling out of favor of another
      > rapid fire weapon, the " Coffee Mill Gun." This weapon was
      > prone to breakdown, and was even dangerous to operate.
      > A major problem with all rapid fire weapons was that the quality
      > of powder used caused fouling after only a few minutes. This
      > problem was not corrected until after the war.
      >
      > A purchase of 12 Gatling guns was made by Maj. General Ben
      > Butler out of his own pocket, and it was these guns that were used
      > at Petersburg, the only action Gatling guns saw during the Civil
      War.

      > In January of 1865, after many improvements including going
      > to a rim fire copper case cartridge, it was officially adopted by
      > the U. S. in 1866.
      > The Army misunderstood the potential of the Gatling Gun however,
      > assigning it to artillery use, rather than as an infantry infantry
      weapon.

      > Regards, Dave Gorski

      Is it known of how many casualties the gatling gun inflicted at
      Petersburg?
    • Sweetsstar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
        From what I have read none.

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009

          > In a message dated 1/10/2009 5:26:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          > carlw4514@... writes:
          >
          > I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.
          >

          > When the subject was first raised, my first thought was the snipers
          who
          > fired on all Union ships from the banks of the Mississippi. A
          little strafing
          > from a Gatlin could have been used to depress that sort of
          activity. But then,
          > what's the use of the equivalent of an entire regiment loosing a
          volley against
          > a puff of smoke? You keep his head down until you're out of range.
          Not
          > exactly cost effective. Not a real deterrent so long as the sniper
          has a rock or a
          > large tree to duck behind after his damage has been done.

          similar to my thoughts, ole...

          Ironclads are not anti-personnel weapons. They are built to seek out
          and destroy enemy ships, hence they throw 60, 120 even 350 pound
          rounds. An enemy ship is a target; a lone enemy gunman is a waste of
          ammunition.

          That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
          providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...

          HankC
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009
            I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
            purchased one

            > That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
            > providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...
            >

            > HankC

          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 13, 2009

              > I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
              > purchased one

              I often wonder that of many purchases of the 'latest and greatest' ;)

              HankC