Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Gatling gun on an ironclad?

  • Dave Gorski
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
      The Gatling gun prior to 1865 had many problems. Among
      them, often the bores of the six barrels failed to align with the
      chambers. The U.S. Army purchased NONE of Gatling's guns.
      This may have also been due to the falling out of favor of another
      rapid fire weapon, the " Coffee Mill Gun." This weapon was
      prone to breakdown, and was even dangerous to operate.
      A major problem with all rapid fire weapons was that the quality
      of powder used caused fouling after only a few minutes. This
      problem was not corrected until after the war.

      A purchase of 12 Gatling guns was made by Maj. General Ben
      Butler out of his own pocket, and it was these guns that were used
      at Petersburg, the only action Gatling guns saw during the Civil War.

      In January of 1865, after many improvements including going
      to a rim fire copper case cartridge, it was officially adopted by
      the U. S. in 1866.
      The Army misunderstood the potential of the Gatling Gun however,
      assigning it to artillery use, rather than as an infantry infantry weapon.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • bango1375
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gorski <amhistoryguy@...>
        wrote:

        > The Gatling gun prior to 1865 had many problems. Among
        > them, often the bores of the six barrels failed to align with the
        > chambers. The U.S. Army purchased NONE of Gatling's guns.
        > This may have also been due to the falling out of favor of another
        > rapid fire weapon, the " Coffee Mill Gun." This weapon was
        > prone to breakdown, and was even dangerous to operate.
        > A major problem with all rapid fire weapons was that the quality
        > of powder used caused fouling after only a few minutes. This
        > problem was not corrected until after the war.
        >
        > A purchase of 12 Gatling guns was made by Maj. General Ben
        > Butler out of his own pocket, and it was these guns that were used
        > at Petersburg, the only action Gatling guns saw during the Civil
        War.

        > In January of 1865, after many improvements including going
        > to a rim fire copper case cartridge, it was officially adopted by
        > the U. S. in 1866.
        > The Army misunderstood the potential of the Gatling Gun however,
        > assigning it to artillery use, rather than as an infantry infantry
        weapon.

        > Regards, Dave Gorski

        Is it known of how many casualties the gatling gun inflicted at
        Petersburg?
      • Sweetsstar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
          From what I have read none.

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009

            > In a message dated 1/10/2009 5:26:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
            > carlw4514@... writes:
            >
            > I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.
            >

            > When the subject was first raised, my first thought was the snipers
            who
            > fired on all Union ships from the banks of the Mississippi. A
            little strafing
            > from a Gatlin could have been used to depress that sort of
            activity. But then,
            > what's the use of the equivalent of an entire regiment loosing a
            volley against
            > a puff of smoke? You keep his head down until you're out of range.
            Not
            > exactly cost effective. Not a real deterrent so long as the sniper
            has a rock or a
            > large tree to duck behind after his damage has been done.

            similar to my thoughts, ole...

            Ironclads are not anti-personnel weapons. They are built to seek out
            and destroy enemy ships, hence they throw 60, 120 even 350 pound
            rounds. An enemy ship is a target; a lone enemy gunman is a waste of
            ammunition.

            That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
            providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...

            HankC
          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009
              I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
              purchased one

              > That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
              > providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...
              >

              > HankC

            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 13, 2009

                > I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
                > purchased one

                I often wonder that of many purchases of the 'latest and greatest' ;)

                HankC