Re: Gatling gun on an ironclad?

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
      I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.

      In some ways, evidently, the Gatling merely improved on some existing
      ideas. Get a load of this:

      The Puckle Gun:

      "In 1718, Puckle demonstrated ... a tripod-mounted, single-barreled
      flintlock weapon fitted with a multishot revolving cylinder, designed
      for shipboard use to prevent boarding. The barrel [had] a pre-loaded
      "cylinder" which held 11 charges and could fire 63 shots in 7 minutes
      at a time when the standard soldier's musket could at best be loaded
      and fired three times per minute..."

      Flintlock? wow

      For the ACW, in particular the idea of revolving charged chambers and
      multiple barrels for controlled cooling was not new. Gatling's gun
      though had a "gravity feed reloading mechanism, which allowed
      unskilled operators to achieve a relatively high rate of fire."
      Presumably the invention of the percussion cap and concurrent new
      design ideas for cartridges played a big role. [Gatling used a paper
      cartridge]

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_Gun#The_Puckle_gun
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
        In a message dated 1/10/2009 5:26:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
        I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.
        When the subject was first raised, my first thought was the snipers who fired on all Union ships from the banks of the Mississippi. A little strafing from a Gatlin could have been used to depress that sort of activity. But then, what's the use of the equivalent of an entire regiment loosing a volley against a puff of smoke? You keep his head down until you're out of range. Not exactly cost effective. Not a real deterrent so long as the sniper has a rock or a large tree to duck behind after his damage has been done.

        But it remains that very few were built (a dozen or so?), so their actual use was very limited.

        Ole

      • Dave Gorski
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
          The Gatling gun prior to 1865 had many problems. Among
          them, often the bores of the six barrels failed to align with the
          chambers. The U.S. Army purchased NONE of Gatling's guns.
          This may have also been due to the falling out of favor of another
          rapid fire weapon, the " Coffee Mill Gun." This weapon was
          prone to breakdown, and was even dangerous to operate.
          A major problem with all rapid fire weapons was that the quality
          of powder used caused fouling after only a few minutes. This
          problem was not corrected until after the war.

          A purchase of 12 Gatling guns was made by Maj. General Ben
          Butler out of his own pocket, and it was these guns that were used
          at Petersburg, the only action Gatling guns saw during the Civil War.

          In January of 1865, after many improvements including going
          to a rim fire copper case cartridge, it was officially adopted by
          the U. S. in 1866.
          The Army misunderstood the potential of the Gatling Gun however,
          assigning it to artillery use, rather than as an infantry infantry weapon.

          Regards, Dave Gorski
        • bango1375
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gorski <amhistoryguy@...>
            wrote:

            > The Gatling gun prior to 1865 had many problems. Among
            > them, often the bores of the six barrels failed to align with the
            > chambers. The U.S. Army purchased NONE of Gatling's guns.
            > This may have also been due to the falling out of favor of another
            > rapid fire weapon, the " Coffee Mill Gun." This weapon was
            > prone to breakdown, and was even dangerous to operate.
            > A major problem with all rapid fire weapons was that the quality
            > of powder used caused fouling after only a few minutes. This
            > problem was not corrected until after the war.
            >
            > A purchase of 12 Gatling guns was made by Maj. General Ben
            > Butler out of his own pocket, and it was these guns that were used
            > at Petersburg, the only action Gatling guns saw during the Civil
            War.

            > In January of 1865, after many improvements including going
            > to a rim fire copper case cartridge, it was officially adopted by
            > the U. S. in 1866.
            > The Army misunderstood the potential of the Gatling Gun however,
            > assigning it to artillery use, rather than as an infantry infantry
            weapon.

            > Regards, Dave Gorski

            Is it known of how many casualties the gatling gun inflicted at
            Petersburg?
          • Sweetsstar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 10, 2009
              From what I have read none.

            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009

                > In a message dated 1/10/2009 5:26:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                > carlw4514@... writes:
                >
                > I seem to be in a mood for this sort of thing this morning.
                >

                > When the subject was first raised, my first thought was the snipers
                who
                > fired on all Union ships from the banks of the Mississippi. A
                little strafing
                > from a Gatlin could have been used to depress that sort of
                activity. But then,
                > what's the use of the equivalent of an entire regiment loosing a
                volley against
                > a puff of smoke? You keep his head down until you're out of range.
                Not
                > exactly cost effective. Not a real deterrent so long as the sniper
                has a rock or a
                > large tree to duck behind after his damage has been done.

                similar to my thoughts, ole...

                Ironclads are not anti-personnel weapons. They are built to seek out
                and destroy enemy ships, hence they throw 60, 120 even 350 pound
                rounds. An enemy ship is a target; a lone enemy gunman is a waste of
                ammunition.

                That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
                providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...

                HankC
              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 12, 2009
                  I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
                  purchased one

                  > That said, every ship carries rifle-toting Marines, or other men,
                  > providing close support for boarding and, perhaps, snipers...
                  >

                  > HankC

                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 13, 2009

                    > I wonder what Porter was going to do with one, if it's true he
                    > purchased one

                    I often wonder that of many purchases of the 'latest and greatest' ;)

                    HankC