Re: Evacuation from Fort Donelson

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
      The challenge of dealing with the freezing water is reminiscent of
      George Rogers Clark and his Illinois campaign in the Revolutionary
      War. I have read [minimally] accounts of that, like at Wikipedia, but
      never get an explanation of how they dealt with hypothermia, which is
      simply deadly for all including the hale and hardy in those conditions.

      My guess is they immediately built fires to dry out. There might have
      been a problem with an any larger force being able to do this,
      naturally there needs to be plenty of fuel.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          No, impossible, terrain and weather too severe.
          Ron
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
            A small party could do it in the confusion of the surrender. However,
            the garrison would have been detected and attacked on the march.
          • David Wall
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009

              > In a message dated 12/31/2008 9:52:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
              > bango1375@... writes:
              >
              > Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B.
              orrest
              > and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been
              possible for
              > almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson safely
              with Forrest?

              > Too many. No boats. Not possible.It was a near miracle that Forrest
              got away
              > with as many as he did.
              > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is
              making
              > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

              It is unlikely that Forrest could have pulled off that miracle. But,
              he often pulled off difficult tasks.

              It was impossible for one of the other two boobs (Floyd, Pillow) to
              accomplish anything approaching that withdrawl. Just getting
              themselves away proved awkward. Of course it is difficult to achieve
              anything of importance when a person is slinking away.

              Grant stated to Buckner after his capture, that if he had captured
              Floyd, he would have released him so that he could continue to lead a
              rebel force somewhere.

              Interesting factoid: Buckner would help carry the casket, at Grants
              funeral.

              With Buckner only third in command and Tilghman on his way to a
              northern prison camp after being captured earlier at Fort Henry
              during a heroic defense, the fort was doomed.

              Of course General U. S. Grant had to be contended with at Fort
              Donalson also.

              David