Re: [civilwarwest] Evacuation from Fort Donelson

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
      In a message dated 12/31/2008 9:52:46 P.M. Central Standard Time, bango1375@... writes:
      Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B. orrest and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been possible for almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson safely with Forrest?
      Too many. No boats. Not possible.It was a near miracle that Forrest got away with as many as he did.

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
        The challenge of dealing with the freezing water is reminiscent of
        George Rogers Clark and his Illinois campaign in the Revolutionary
        War. I have read [minimally] accounts of that, like at Wikipedia, but
        never get an explanation of how they dealt with hypothermia, which is
        simply deadly for all including the hale and hardy in those conditions.

        My guess is they immediately built fires to dry out. There might have
        been a problem with an any larger force being able to do this,
        naturally there needs to be plenty of fuel.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
        • Ronald black
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
            No, impossible, terrain and weather too severe.
            Ron
            Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B.
            Forrest and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been
            possible for almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson
            safely with Forrest?

          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
              A small party could do it in the confusion of the surrender. However,
              the garrison would have been detected and attacked on the march.
            • David Wall
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009

                > In a message dated 12/31/2008 9:52:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                > bango1375@... writes:
                >
                > Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B.
                orrest
                > and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been
                possible for
                > almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson safely
                with Forrest?

                > Too many. No boats. Not possible.It was a near miracle that Forrest
                got away
                > with as many as he did.
                > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is
                making
                > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

                It is unlikely that Forrest could have pulled off that miracle. But,
                he often pulled off difficult tasks.

                It was impossible for one of the other two boobs (Floyd, Pillow) to
                accomplish anything approaching that withdrawl. Just getting
                themselves away proved awkward. Of course it is difficult to achieve
                anything of importance when a person is slinking away.

                Grant stated to Buckner after his capture, that if he had captured
                Floyd, he would have released him so that he could continue to lead a
                rebel force somewhere.

                Interesting factoid: Buckner would help carry the casket, at Grants
                funeral.

                With Buckner only third in command and Tilghman on his way to a
                northern prison camp after being captured earlier at Fort Henry
                during a heroic defense, the fort was doomed.

                Of course General U. S. Grant had to be contended with at Fort
                Donalson also.

                David