Evacuation from Fort Donelson

  • bango1375
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
      Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B.
      Forrest and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been
      possible for almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson
      safely with Forrest?
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
        In a message dated 12/31/2008 9:52:46 P.M. Central Standard Time, bango1375@... writes:
        Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B. orrest and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been possible for almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson safely with Forrest?
        Too many. No boats. Not possible.It was a near miracle that Forrest got away with as many as he did.

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          The challenge of dealing with the freezing water is reminiscent of
          George Rogers Clark and his Illinois campaign in the Revolutionary
          War. I have read [minimally] accounts of that, like at Wikipedia, but
          never get an explanation of how they dealt with hypothermia, which is
          simply deadly for all including the hale and hardy in those conditions.

          My guess is they immediately built fires to dry out. There might have
          been a problem with an any larger force being able to do this,
          naturally there needs to be plenty of fuel.
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          • Ronald black
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
              No, impossible, terrain and weather too severe.
              Ron

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
                A small party could do it in the confusion of the surrender. However,
                the garrison would have been detected and attacked on the march.
              • David Wall
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009

                  > In a message dated 12/31/2008 9:52:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > bango1375@... writes:
                  >
                  > Why didn't all of the men from Fort Donelson escape with Nathan B.
                  orrest
                  > and the men that went with him? Do you think it would have been
                  possible for
                  > almost every man in the fort to have escaped Fort Donelson safely
                  with Forrest?

                  > Too many. No boats. Not possible.It was a near miracle that Forrest
                  got away
                  > with as many as he did.
                  > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what is
                  making
                  > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

                  It is unlikely that Forrest could have pulled off that miracle. But,
                  he often pulled off difficult tasks.

                  It was impossible for one of the other two boobs (Floyd, Pillow) to
                  accomplish anything approaching that withdrawl. Just getting
                  themselves away proved awkward. Of course it is difficult to achieve
                  anything of importance when a person is slinking away.

                  Grant stated to Buckner after his capture, that if he had captured
                  Floyd, he would have released him so that he could continue to lead a
                  rebel force somewhere.

                  Interesting factoid: Buckner would help carry the casket, at Grants
                  funeral.

                  With Buckner only third in command and Tilghman on his way to a
                  northern prison camp after being captured earlier at Fort Henry
                  during a heroic defense, the fort was doomed.

                  Of course General U. S. Grant had to be contended with at Fort
                  Donalson also.

                  David