RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Strange letter

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008

      Yes, there were guards at the parole camps.  Check out Moe’s “Last Full Measure” for an account.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008
        Moe? Jeff Shaara?

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

        > Yes, there were guards at the parole camps. Check out Moe's "Last Full
        > Measure" for an account.
        >
        > Harry

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008

          No, Moe.  A regimental history of the 1st MN.

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008
            Was wondering when someone would bring up the POH camps. It is a very much a question of when. In the study of the USCW, "when"  always works. There was never one thing all the time.

            When a parolee was sent home or sent to a POH camp is very much an important question. Somewhere in there the exchange of prisoners was seriously considered. Somewhere in there, it stopped. The man who was captured early in '62 faced an entirely different fate than the one captured a few weeks later.

            Major difference from week to week. WHEN is the key.

            Ken

          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
              Well, now I'm confused. POH, prisoner of honor, sounded to me like
              what we had been talking about, i.e. the Benton Barracks camp in MO
              could be called a POH camp. Not so?

            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
                Not necessarily. When there were still exchanges the early ones were sent home and called back when they were exchanged. As you might expect, many of them simply disappeared. So they were housed at an established camp from which the recall might be ensured. Later still, many were actually sent to prison camps to await exchange. And then exchanges were ended.