Re: Strange letter

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008
      From the postings it seems we have at least one Reb who was willing to
      fudge on the rules and two Yanks seeming to indicate life wasn't so
      good as a POH.

      I have to figure it would be an exaggeration to say conditions were
      worse or even just as bad at a POH camp as a POW camp. Since there
      seem to be no guards, surely conditions had to be passable. You'd have
      to expect belly-aching of some kind, just from being forced to stay put.

      > I had a great,great, great uncle who served with the 15th Battery,
      > Indiana Light Arty. His unit surrendered at Harper's Ferry in Sept
      > 1862. When his unit was paroled the entire unit was sent to
      > Indianapolis. They were held at a POW camp there and they were not
      > used as guards. From the stories that I heard growing up, the paroled
      > union soldiers were sometimes treated more poorly than the Southern
      > prisoners were treated. I guess the treatment received by POH's
      > depended on where they were held and what their rank was.
      >
      > Al

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008

        Yes, there were guards at the parole camps.  Check out Moe’s “Last Full Measure” for an account.

        Harry

        fudge on the rules and two Yanks seeming to indicate life wasn't so
        good as a POH.

        I have to figure it would be an exaggeration to say conditions were
        worse or even just as bad at a POH camp as a POW camp. Since there
        seem to be no guards, surely conditions had to be passable. You'd have
        to expect belly-aching of some kind, just from being forced to stay put.

        > I had a great,great, great uncle who served with the 15th Battery,
        > Indiana Light Arty. His unit surrendered at Harper's Ferry in Sept
        > 1862. When his unit was paroled the entire unit was sent to
        > Indianapolis. They were held at a POW camp there and they were not
        > used as guards. From the stories that I heard growing up, the paroled
        > union soldiers were sometimes treated more poorly than the Southern
        > prisoners were treated. I guess the treatment received by POH's
        > depended on where they were held and what their rank was.
        >
        > Al

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008
          Moe? Jeff Shaara?

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

          > Yes, there were guards at the parole camps. Check out Moe's "Last Full
          > Measure" for an account.
          >
          > Harry

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008

            No, Moe.  A regimental history of the 1st MN.

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2008
              Was wondering when someone would bring up the POH camps. It is a very much a question of when. In the study of the USCW, "when"  always works. There was never one thing all the time.

              When a parolee was sent home or sent to a POH camp is very much an important question. Somewhere in there the exchange of prisoners was seriously considered. Somewhere in there, it stopped. The man who was captured early in '62 faced an entirely different fate than the one captured a few weeks later.

              Major difference from week to week. WHEN is the key.

              Ken

            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
                Well, now I'm confused. POH, prisoner of honor, sounded to me like
                what we had been talking about, i.e. the Benton Barracks camp in MO
                could be called a POH camp. Not so?

              • keeno2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Not necessarily. When there were still exchanges the early ones were sent home and called back when they were exchanged. As you might expect, many of them simply disappeared. So they were housed at an established camp from which the recall might be ensured. Later still, many were actually sent to prison camps to await exchange. And then exchanges were ended.