Re: Union Soldier taken prisoner ?

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2008
      Sounds very interesting, but the url does not work for me.

      Many contemporary letters appear, and are, confusing to us. We have
      the advantage of historical perspective but the disadvantage of
      little know-how of their day-to-day experience.

      Exchange officially discontinued in early 1864 over a number of
      issues (the Vicksburg POWs and issues with USCT POWs among them) but
      informally continued for the rest of the war.

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <floridaboyjim@...> wrote:

      > I am researching a letter that was found in my great grandfathers
      > things passed on to me by my grandfather. The letter is to the
      Army
      > in favor of a fellow prisoner of war. James A. Strange (48th ILL
      > Inf - Co K) was on ambulance duty and also carrying mail between
      > Holly Springs and Oxford. On December 20, 1862 he and a group of
      > others were captured and sent to Memphis and then on to ST LOUIS,
      > MO......
      >
      > (here is where the story looses me. Every bit of information that
      > have been able to gleen puts St.Louis in the hands of the Union at
      > that time)
      >
      > GGrandfather then goes on to describe visiting the Hospital in St.
      > Louis where Mangus M.Nelson (43rd ILL Inf - Co. C) was treated for
      > leg wounds suffered before his capture. He reports that he was
      > released via a prisoner exchange on August 6, 1863. (had'nt the
      Union
      > adopted a no prisoner exchange policy by then?)
      >
      > I have found that Nelson is listed as a deserter in the rolls of
      his
      > outfit.... My GGrandfather re-enlisted after his first 3 year term
      > for the duration of the war... very interesting, but puzzling
      >
      > I have posted a copy of the letter at www.flaboyjim.tripod.com -
      > click on left hand side for documents. Any assistance by those
      that
      > understand the Pittsburg Landing Battle would be appreciated.

    • James Strange
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2008
        Sorry the link was broken, it must have been my fat fingers...

        Try

        Thanks for the replys.... its just one of those things that makes ya ask ????

        Jim

        I am researching a letter that was found in my great grandfathers
        things passed on to me by my grandfather. The letter is to the Army
        in favor of a fellow prisoner of war. James A. Strange (48th ILL
        Inf - Co K) was on ambulance duty and also carrying mail between
        Holly Springs and Oxford. On December 20, 1862 he and a group of
        others were captured and sent to Memphis and then on to ST LOUIS,
        MO......

        (here is where the story looses me. Every bit of information that I