CONFEDERATE ORDER OF COLORS--Interesting

  • confederateheraldry
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      Red, White and Blue--we choose what we see through many years of
      learning another way so we honestly want to see something like
      Confederate colors as red, white and blue also. Logic should tell us
      the Confederacy would not choose new emblems from flag to Great Seal
      and allow the old color order to remain--Britain and the first U.S.A.
      revolution excepted.

      Nearly every Confederate pre-flag example (with horizontal stripes)
      prior to the adoption of the Stars and Bars showed an order of blue,
      white and red. Even the current Stars and Bars pattern of Mississippi
      flag, with battle flag in canton, is a living reminder of an order of
      colors in its top to bottom bars featuring blue, white and red. Side
      note: The Stars and Bars is not the St. Andrew's "X" as commonly believed.

      Some will say the Confederate Congress did not specify an order of
      colors but such does not mean there was without. The Confederate
      Congress failed to formally adopt the Stars and Bars but it became
      even better known. As Confederates we must not allow sentimentality
      of union to obscure Confederate issues for sake of peace on New
      England terms.

      There are examples of Dixie's blue, white and red but my favorite is a
      color version of the Confederacy's Great Seal produced in 1913 by the
      United Daughters of the Confederacy. One only has to note an order of
      color in its ribbon from left to right as with the French
      Tricolor--blue, white and red.

      If anyone comes across clothing, quilt or artifacts showing a possible
      order of colors (top to bottom or left to right) then please send
      comment to: LostButFound3@...

      Thank you,

      Gary Smith
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008

         Hi Mr Smith ! :

                             I want to thank you for sending us this very interesting information, this is one of the historic facts we unusable see or read, I,  myself the " Stars and Bars " pin and flag is the one I always were,  more when I attended the Civil War Re-enactments, the following is a description I have regarding  this First National Confederate Flag :

        ..." It was raised, nonetheless, on March 4, 1861, the day Abraham Lincoln was sworn into office, it flew over official buildings and by many military units including Gen Robert E. Lee H.Q.for the next two years ." two men claimed to have the designed it, one was Nicola Marschall, and artist from Alabama and the other was Orren Smith from North Carolina .

                          I hope comments and articles like this one will continue coming to our List, sincerely your humble servant .

        - Raul Hernandez-Baquero

        Click here and choose from thousands of high quality used cars.
      • lostbutfound3@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
          Raul,

          I am soon to write a small phamplet on the subject not much bigger than the article posted on Confederate colors.

          Have found an 1896 newspaper clipping regarding a United Confederate Veterans meeting. Stated therein are mentions of "Confederate colors" and "National colors", the later obviously being red, white and blue.

          Kind regards,

          Gary
          Start providing for your family by becoming a paralegal. Click Now.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3nffPV7aFJVhhinR5yG1pO5KpRYKffoZgOm6zMp75j7oZtf3/?count=1234567890