Re: Woodsonville or Rowlett's Station

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      Many thanks for the links and info. Now I gotta find and rent that
      movie somewhere!

      I had a dim knowledge of 'the square' tactic against cavalry, but
      "hollow" had a meaning I wasnt sure of.

      I have a hunch there is a reason that later in the war we don't hear
      about infantry forming squares so much. It may be that cavalry wasn't
      going to challenge infantry except dismounted as infantry firepower grew?
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008

        > Just when you think everyone has been put to bed .......

        Sometimes I wonder, too, if we have exhausted it here, but actually I
        find if I "got nothing" it's more a matter I havent been reading or
        whatever. The subject of the Civil War may be inexhaustible!

        Sometimes when this group seems pretty quiet it also makes you wonder,
        what with what's happening in the blog world, email discussion groups
        seem a little yesteryear. I think maybe those of us with an emotional
        attachment keep it alive here; in addition to remembering old times, a
        lot of us have uploaded files and pictures and whatever. Or maybe I'm
        wrong and the concept is alive and well. We do have some lulls.