RE: [civilwarwest] Woodsonville or Rowlett's Station

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008

      You literally form a square of a Regiment size with 3-4 rows forming each of the 4 sides, colors and command structure along with any one not in the unit (often artillerymen) are in the center. The first row kneels on one knee, planting the butt of their rifle in the ground with bayonets thrusting up forming a very formidable wall of steel that the horses will not attack.  They are not that stupid.  The lines behind the kneeling first line them volley fire over the heads of the first line.

      The best example in movies is “Waterloo” staring Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer.  The “British” soldiers form their various squares while the French cavalry attack. In the movie, members of the Soviet army donned the British red and formed the squares.  The cavalry attacks in the movie were so realistic that some of the Soviet soldiers in the squares broke on their own, unscripted, as the soldiers actually did get really scared of the charging horses.  The camera pulls back and you can see a panoramic view of all the squares with the cavalry milling around between them.  A beautiful feat of cinematography and coordination.

      Plus the movie is highly realistic and I recommend it. But to see a square and how they work, there is not a better movie out there.

      It took a lot of discipline to form and hold a square but once one broke they were virtually dead as the cavalry would ride them down.  So the motivation to hold that square was quite high.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        Many thanks for the links and info. Now I gotta find and rent that
        movie somewhere!

        I had a dim knowledge of 'the square' tactic against cavalry, but
        "hollow" had a meaning I wasnt sure of.

        I have a hunch there is a reason that later in the war we don't hear
        about infantry forming squares so much. It may be that cavalry wasn't
        going to challenge infantry except dismounted as infantry firepower grew?
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008

          > Just when you think everyone has been put to bed .......

          Sometimes I wonder, too, if we have exhausted it here, but actually I
          find if I "got nothing" it's more a matter I havent been reading or
          whatever. The subject of the Civil War may be inexhaustible!

          Sometimes when this group seems pretty quiet it also makes you wonder,
          what with what's happening in the blog world, email discussion groups
          seem a little yesteryear. I think maybe those of us with an emotional
          attachment keep it alive here; in addition to remembering old times, a
          lot of us have uploaded files and pictures and whatever. Or maybe I'm
          wrong and the concept is alive and well. We do have some lulls.