RE: [civilwarwest] North of Jackson Mississippi

  • Peterson, Jack N.
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2008

      Are you thinking of the Battle of Raymond, May 12, ’63 during Grant’s Vicksburg Campaign?  The big Battle of Champion’s Hill was 4 days later.

      Can anyone please tell me if there was a battle north of Jackson Mississippi in a town witch is now called Ridgeland  it is in Madison county . It may have been called something different  when the war was on .The town in question is east of Ramond and the Big Blac

    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2008
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John LaPorta
        <captaininmississippi@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone please tell me if there was a battle north of Jackson
        Mississippi in a town witch is now called Ridgeland  it is in Madison
        county . It may have been called something different  when the war was
        on .The town in question is east of Ramond and the Big Blac

        There was skirmishing in that area around July 17 1863. The location
        was referred to as Grant's Ferry, which was a crossing of the Pearl
        River in what is now the Barnett Reservoir.
      • John LaPorta
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2008
          Thank you very much William . I have heard of Grants Ferry and the Reservior is only a few miles away. These skirmishings were taken place after the fall of Vicksburg right ?
           Thanks again.......John (captaininmississippi) thats why I`m only a Captain

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2008
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John LaPorta
            <captaininmississippi@...> wrote:

            > Thank you very much William . I have heard of Grants Ferry and the
            Reservior is only a few miles away. These skirmishings were taken
            place after the fall of Vicksburg right ?

            Right. During the siege of Vicksburg, Gen Johnston had gathered an
            army to attempt to come to the aid of Vicksburg. After the surrender
            of Vicksburg, Grant sent Sherman with an army-sized force to go after
            Johnston. Johnston fell back to Jackson, where Sherman tried to
            besiege him. Sherman received a report on the 15th of July that a
            large confederate cavalry force had crossed the Pearl at Grant's Ferry
            in order to get in his rear. On the 16th Sherman sent an infantry
            brigade and a cavalry brigade north from Jackson to try to drive the
            Confederates back. The expedition skirmished with the Confederate
            cavalry squadron guarding the river crossing, driving it off and then
            destroying the ferry boats.
          • William Nolan
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
              If the Union force drove off the Confederate Cavalry, why would they burn the ferry and boats. It sounds more like they were preventing the cavalry from crossing. I agree that the Confederate force was not large enough to challange the Union force, but it did operate along the Black, around Yazoo City, Clanton and Jackson without being stopped. Even in 1864 when Sheridan moved to Meridian, he lost his cavalry support which was chassed back to Memphis by Forrest. The Whitifield Ross Cavalry Brigade contested Sherman, but was completely outmanned. Johnston did not conduct a headon battle because of his dwindling resources. But Sherman paid dearly for each skirmish. Later on his drive to Atlanta he lost 35,000 men. Had the Confederates had the forces to expend, Sherman might not have made Atlanta.

            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
                If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a marvelous Christmas.

              • Peterson, Jack N.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008

                  I think its clear that Sherman ’s forces were clearly irresistible when led with esprit as Sherman did.  Johnston did a magnificent job delaying the inevitable, but Davis could not tolerate what was being viewed by too many confederates as a losing continual retreat and Johnston had to go.  Hood’s tactics were a disaster and compounded when he retreated toward Nashville rather than moving to Lee.  Prior to the Atlanta campaign, Sherman and Grant discussed options such as leaving Atlanta besieged and splitting Sherman ’s army to move south to either Mobile , Pensacola or on to Savannah .  The rebels simply had no force available to rescue Atlanta as long as Grant kept up the pressure on Lee.  Davis may have had some leverage for settlement during the fall of ’63.  And maybe as late as the summer of ’64 when the cost of the Wilderness campaign became clear to the pro-peace factions in the North.  But, after appointing Grant,  Lincoln seemed ready to fight until Lee was destroyed no matter the cost.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, William Nolan
                    <sixtxcavrgtcsa@...> wrote:

                    > If the Union force drove off the Confederate Cavalry, why would they
                    burn the ferry and boats. It sounds more like they were preventing the
                    cavalry from crossing. ...

                    Exactly -- the squadron that was there was just protecting the
                    crossing for use by the main confederate cavalry force. Destroying
                    the boats, etc was a way of stopping the Confederates from using that
                    crossing.