Gen. James S. Robinson/ 82nd Ohio Infantry

  • Joseph R. Reinhart
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29 4:08 AM
      I have a letter that accuses Gen. James S. Robinson, former colonel of the 82nd Ohio of being distinguished by controversy and drunkenness. Has anyone see similar allegations before?
      Thanks
      Joe
    • Ronald black
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29 8:21 AM
        The Official Records of the civil war describe General James S. Robinson as having served a long career in the eastern theater and was part of the forces sent to Tennessee for the Knoxville campaign.  He was commander of the 82nd Ohio on July st at Gettysburg.  He was severely wounded at about the time of the union retreat to Cemetary ridge and was replaced by Lieutenant Colonel David Thompson who filed the Official Report of the regiment's role in the Battle of Gettysburg.  After recovering from his wound, he became a brigade commander and took part in the battles and campaigns of Knoxville, Atlanta, Savannah and the Carolinas.  He went back to Tennessee for assignment to the XX Corps and later them XIV Corps which was commanded by General John A. Logan.  At the end of the war, he was mustered out of the service by Special Order 108, Headquarters, Army of the Tennessee and ordered to his place of residence in Kenton Ohio to receive any further orders from the Adjutant General.  This order appears on page 1090 of Volume 49, Part II of the Official Records.  There is no mention of any drunkenness in the Official Records concerning this fine officer.  The only controversy may have been by his division commander when he ordered Colonel Robinson to halt building unauthorized field fortifications and no other mention of any controversy appears in the records.
        Ron

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29 3:50 PM
          In a message dated 9/29/2008 7:10:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sixthky@... writes:

          I have a letter that accuses Gen. James S. Robinson, former colonel of the 82nd Ohio of being distinguished by controversy and drunkenness. Has anyone see similar allegations before?
          Thanks
          Joe
          Joe...who wrote the letter and when was it written?  A descendant of Robinson lives here in Mansfield Ohio and I can get message to him about this if you can provide more details.

          Kent Dorr

        • Joseph R. Reinhart
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30 3:54 AM
            Kent
            It was written by a captain of an Illinois regiment in April 1865 in a private letter. I am just trying to find out if
             anyone else ever made that same allegation?
            Joe

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2008
              Kent
              Regarding the letter about General Robinson, I believe that the letter actually states that his former regiment, and not he, was distinguished by controversy and drunkenness. It was originally written in German and translated by someone else. After obtaining the original untranslated letter it appears that the translation I had was incorrect and was not referring to Gen. Robinson. The reason I asked if anyone had seen any similar allegations is because my prior research did not reveal that these allegations were true for Gen. Robinson. I have not found anything to indicate the same was true for the 82nd Ohio but wanted to see if anyone else had any information about this allegation.
              Joe

              On Sep 29, 2008, at 6:50 PM, DORR64OVI@... wrote:

              In a message dated 9/29/2008 7:10:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sixthky@bellsouth. net writes:

              I have a letter that accuses Gen. James S. Robinson, former colonel of the 82nd Ohio of being distinguished by controversy and drunkenness. Has anyone see similar allegations before?
              Thanks
              Joe
              Joe...who wrote the letter and when was it written?  A descendant of Robinson lives here in Mansfield Ohio and I can get message to him about this if you can provide more details.

              Kent Dorr

              Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.