Re: [SPAM][civilwarwest] Don Troiani's New Print - John B. Gordon

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2008
      I don't want to get into this too much because it is eastern theater but my great great grandfather was in Gordon's brigade in that charge depicted in the Troiani print.  He was a second corporal in the 31st Georgia commanded by then Col. Clement A. Evans.  Now to tie this into the Civil War in general, if any of you have the Confederate Military History, you will note it was Evans that pulled this massive amount of material together after the war.  He was the editor.  By the way, my ancestor received a severe wound during this action and was left in a hospital in Gettysburg when Lee withdrew his army on the 4th.  He was later exchanged and wound up in a hospital in Richmond for a while and then was transferred to another hospital south of Richmond.  It was while he was recovering from his wound that he met and married my great great grandmother.  He never saw action again.  My great great grandmother's older brother was a sgt. in the 15th Alabama and saw action in all the major battles in the eastern theater except Gettysburg.  He was on leave during that battle.  He surrendered with Lee at Appomattox as a Lt.  If any of you have ever walked the "unfinished railroad" at the battle of 2nd Manassas, the interpretive marker for the 15th Alabama has something by my ancestor on it.  Let me swing this thing back to the western theater, I have another great great grandfather, this time on my father's side, that was killed in one of the actions around Atlanta.  He is buried in Marion, Georgia.  Now that you all know some of my family history I think you might understand why I have Southern leanings.  Heck, I laughingly tell folks that I was fourteen years old before I found out that "damn yankee" was two words :-)

      By the way, Gordon is one of my favorites to come out of the Civil War.  He was wounded 5 times in the Bloody Lane at Antietam and was back in action at Chancellorsville.  Besides, I like the way he wrote.  I don't believe much of what he said but I sure like the way he said it :-)  Now back to the Western Theater.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        Very interesting, Shotgun, thanks. I'm sure you couldnt resist the
        bargain price on that signed limited edition canvas print!