RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Bowen at Big Black Bridge

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 9, 2008

      Thanks so much, Carl, for the honest appraisal.  I think I’ll take your advice and pass on it. Bowen was an excellent General but not a Stonewall.  He did work better with others than Jackson and that speaks well of Bowen, who from readings was an excellent Division and Corps commander. It sounds like it may be better to just pick up information on him by reading books devoted to subjects where he was involved like Champion Hill which has had some fine books on it over the last several years.

      If anyone out there board games, The Gamers “Champion Hill” is an excellent game and Bowen shines with a well deserved high rating in it.  Thanks to him and failure to get orders through I lost that battle once.  But not the next time.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 10, 2008

        > As far as how the federal assault went down, a cavalryman reported
        > the flaw to Lawler, who asked permission to attempt the works.
        Carr
        > approved of Lawler's plan to shift his brigade to the river, which
        > would leave a thousand-yard gap between his two brigades. Carr,
        > without apparently going through McClernand, informed Osterhaus
        what
        > was going on, and asked Osterhaus for a regiment of skirmishers to
        > connect the two brigades with a long skirmish line.
        >
        > So not only was Carr's entire division engaged in the assault, but
        > Osterhaus' men were aware of what was going on, and were ready to
        > apply pressure if the Missourians in their front began to shift.
        >
        > We can only speculate what the beef was between Carr and
        McClernand,
        > but I'm guessing by the promotion order suggested by McClernand
        that
        > Carr felt his talents were being wasted and unrecognized.

        Whoah! Never caught this before, but apparently the beef was between
        McClernand and Grant himself. Grant writes in his memoirs that he
        personally met Carr on Champion Hill, and ordered him to pursue
        Pemberton across the Big Black if possible, with Osterhaus to follow
        Carr.

        So apparently, Carr was operating independently of McClernand for
        this period by order of Grant, who possibly was miffed over
        McClernand's failure to show up at Champion Hill.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008
          I'm thinking McClernand is sorely missed at about the same time Bowen
          counter-attacks. That sort of timing can make an impression.

          [...]
          > So apparently, Carr was operating independently of McClernand for
          > this period by order of Grant, who possibly was miffed over
          > McClernand's failure to show up at Champion Hill.

        • John LaPorta
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008
            Thank you Tom  for all the information that you give freely in your posts.I wanted to ask where can you find civil war games like the one you mentioned? I am currently involved in the American Conquest a Divided Nation game on the internet and would like others any help appreciated.
            John ...the captain in Mississippi

            Thanks so much, Carl, for the honest appraisal.  I think I’ll take your advice and pass on it. Bowen was an excellent General but not a Stonewall.  He did work better with others than Jackson and that speaks well of Bowen, who from readings was an excellent Division and Corps commander. It sounds like it may be better to just pick up information on him by reading books devoted to subjects where he was involved like Champion Hill which has had some fine books on it over the last several years.

            If anyone out there board games, The Gamers “Champion Hill” is an excellent game and Bowen shines with a well deserved high rating in it.  Thanks to him and failure to get orders through I lost that battle once.  But not the next time.

            Tom

            Again that's "The Forgotten 'Stonewall of the West': Major General
            John Stevens Bowen," Mercer University Press, 1997, by Phillip Thomas
            Tucker.

            Tom, the author managed to write an interesting story, even though the
            writing was not good. He reminded me of a High School student who has
            to write 150 words, finds he only wrote 100, so goes back and repeats
            the same sentences in a slightly different way... no kidding. It was
            very repetitive in this way.

            I otherwise have not boned up on Bowen, other than having noted that
            he seemed to be stand out at Champion Hill. So I can't tell if
            something was wrong with what the book had to say. I get the feeling
            that the author would be capable of glossing over Bowen's flaws. After
            all he poses Bowen as a Stonewall of the West; this is not to say
            'instead of Cleburne' but a special Stonewall in the category of
            'forgotten' I guess. The sort of glorifying that the book has makes
            you recall some old hero worshipping in the Southern style.
            Nonetheless he makes a pretty good case but perhaps historians would
            differ with him in important matters. As far as recommending it, you'd
            be happy with the book if you can look over the quality of the writing
            and the hero-worshipping sort of style. Obviously many could not
            overlook these things, so I'd say I'd generally not recommend it but
            was not sorry I read it myself

            Carl

            --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@...> wrote:

            > Carl,
            >
            > As you have progressed in the book, what is your general opinion of
            it now?
            > Still highly slanted toward Bowen and lacking in some accuracy? Kind of
            > sounds like it may have lived up to your original general
            impressions as you
            > began the book.
            >
            > Tom

          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008

              The Gamers still exist but were bought my Multi Man Publishing (MMP) and are now a sub group of it. MMP is owned by Red Sox great Curt Schilling who is an avid gamer too.  (and I’m an avid Red Sox fan.)

              You can find them at MultiManPublishing.com  or multimanpublishing.com which ever works.   Click on The Gamers, then Civil War Brigade series and you’ll find all of their available games. Champion Hill is still available for $28.  It is the best ACW series I have ever played. They also have a great Napoleonic series based  on the same system.

              Good luck, if I can be any help, let me know,

              Tom

              From: Tom Mix <tmix@insightbb. com>
              To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
              Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 6:06 PM

              Thanks so much, Carl, for the honest appraisal.  I think I’ll take your advice and pass on it. Bowen was an excellent General but not a Stonewall.  He did work better with others than Jackson and that speaks well of Bowen, who from readings was an excellent Division and Corps commander. It sounds like it may be better to just pick up information on him by reading books devoted to subjects where he was involved like Champion Hill which has had some fine books on it over the last several years.

              If anyone out there board games, The Gamers “Champion Hill” is an excellent game and Bowen shines with a well deserved high rating in it.  Thanks to him and failure to get orders through I lost that battle once.  But not the next time.

              Tom

              Again that's "The Forgotten 'Stonewall of the West': Major General
              John Stevens Bowen," Mercer University Press, 1997, by Phillip Thomas
              Tucker.

              Tom, the author managed to write an interesting story, even though the
              writing was not good. He reminded me of a High School student who has
              to write 150 words, finds he only wrote 100, so goes back and repeats
              the same sentences in a slightly different way... no kidding. It was
              very repetitive in this way.

              I otherwise have not boned up on Bowen, other than having noted that
              he seemed to be stand out at Champion Hill. So I can't tell if
              something was wrong with what the book had to say. I get the feeling
              that the author would be capable of glossing over Bowen's flaws. After
              all he poses Bowen as a Stonewall of the West; this is not to say
              'in
              stead of Cleburne' but a special Stonewall in the category of
              'forgotten' I guess. The sort of glorifying that the book has makes
              you recall some old hero worshipping in the Southern style.
              Nonetheless he makes a pretty good case but perhaps historians would
              differ with him in important matters. As far as recommending it, you'd
              be happy with the book if you can look over the quality of the writing
              and the hero-worshipping sort of style. Obviously many could not
              overlook these things, so I'd say I'd generally not recommend it but
              was not sorry I read it myself

              Carl

              --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@...> wrote:

              > Carl,
              >
              > As you have progressed in the book, what is your general opinion of
              it now?
              > Still highly slanted toward Bowen and lacking in some accuracy? Kind of
              > sounds like it may have lived up to your original general
              impressions as you
              > began the book.
              >
              > Tom

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008

                John,

                I seem to be having some problem getting this though. You can reach me off line at tmix@...

                Tom

> [...]

                you recall some old hero worshipping in the Southern style.
                Nonetheless he makes a pretty good case but perhaps historians would
                differ with him in important matters. As far as recommending it, you'd
                be happy with the book if you can look over the quality of the writing
                and the hero-worshipping sort of style. Obviously many could not
                overlook these things, so I'd say I'd generally not recommend it but
                was not sorry I read it myself

                Carl

                --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom Mix" <tmix@...> wrote:

                > Carl,
                >
                > As you have progressed in the book, what is your general opinion of
                it now?
                > Still highly slanted toward Bowen and lacking in some accuracy? Kind of
                > sounds like it may have lived up to your original general

              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008

                  Absolutely, Bowen virtually marched right past McClernand’s front to reinforce Champion Hill with McClernand doing nothing at all about it.  He may have taken a photo or two, sold a tourist map to the Rebs or asked for their vote for not bothering them in their travels.

                  Tom

                  I'm thinking McClernand is sorely missed at about the same time Bowen
                  counter-attacks. That sort of timing can make an impression.

                  --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@ ...>
                  [...]

                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008
                    Being a Red Sox fan, anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to counsel and, if you can't afford it, counsel will be provided to you at no cost.

                    Aren't the Red Sox in the Eastern Theater? Foul!

                    ken

                  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008
                      In a message dated 9/11/2008 10:04:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, keeno2@... writes:
                      Aren't the Red Sox in the Eastern Theater? Foul!
                      The Red Sox comprise an entire Nation...where have you been?

                      Kent Dorr
                      Tribe fan

                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008

                        Ken,

                        Well, I guess I’ll have to plead guilty to all charges.  Is my sentence to set in side the Green Monster with the rats?

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 11, 2008

                          Great point!!! I have my defense council. And I am a charter member of Red Sox Nation too.

                          Thanks, Kent!

                          Tom

                          The Tribe is finally playing better. “Cy” Lee has saved their season from being a total loss.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 13, 2008
                            Did you say White Sox or Red Sox.......you are a White Sox fan like me right?
                            anyway Chicago is further west .

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 13, 2008
                              A nation of what???

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 13, 2008
                                LOL you guys are funny

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 13, 2008
                                   GO BEARS!!!!!!

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008

                                    RED Sox

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 14, 2008

                                      Loyal, devoted, fanatical and perhaps a bit pathetic Boston Red Sox fans!!