navy or sky blue greatcoats?

  • daniel oconnell
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2008
      Can anyone explain why I see civil war enlisted (period photos) in sky
      blue as well as navy blue greatcoats?

      I'm interested in making a greatcoat and would prefer navy (dirt etc)
      but I don't want to make a mistake of making a coat in a color that
      wasn't that common compared to the sky blue.

      I've seen the navy listed as "militia" and the sky blue as "infantry",
      however I've seen period photos of enlisted clearly wearing a dark
      blue (navy) greatcoat.

      Any information/explanations are appreciated.

      Daniel O'Connell
      7th Michigan