Re: [civilwarwest] Troiani Collection

  • Ricky Washburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 2008

       Hey John Nice to meet you, I am from Meridian but currently stationed at fort Campbell KY, and deployed to Bagdad Iraq, but i try to get on as much as possible. Nice to see another Mississippian!

      From: Dale Woodward <delawarerivergaller y@...>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Troiani Collection
      To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 9:10 PM

      Hi
      If anyone is interested. We just received a large collection of Don Troiani prints . Many are older in demand prints. If you would like to see them click on the direct link below.
      Dale

    • John LaPorta
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2008
        Thank You Ricky for keeping us all safe" War is Hell" I heard that somewhere.
        May God Bless you everyday your new friend from Mississippi....... big JOHN

        From: Dale Woodward <delawarerivergaller y@...>
        To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 9:10 PM

        Hi
        If anyone is interested. We just received a large collection of Don Troiani prints . Many are older in demand prints. If you would like to see them click on the direct link below.
        Dale

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2008
          Finally checked out the Troiani. Generally, civil war art is not my
          cup of tea. No problem, to each his own.

          I got curious about what historical moment the "Men of Arkansas" scene
          was depicting. It is A.S. Johnston exhorting one of Bowen's brigades
          prior to the attack in the Peach Orchard. Johnston himself would be
          mortally wounded in that attack.

          Ironically, I am reading a book about Bowen now and this moment is not
          in it. Bowen was wounded at Shiloh and it may be he was already wounded.

          see:
          http://tinyurl.com/3jvfjn
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2008

            Carl,

            What is the name and author of your Bowen book?

            Tom

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24, 2008
              General A S Johnston was mortally wounded in the 2:00 pm attack in the Sarah Bell Cotton Field, in the central part of the field just west of the River Road (Hamburg-Savannah Road).  He died about 2:30 pm in the ravine that Governor Isham Harris took him.  General John Bowen was seriously wounded later in the attack on the Wicker field about 3:45 pm.  During the 2:00 pm attack, both Bowen and General Johnston were involved, Johnston west of the River Road and Bowen east of the River Road.  Bowen was fighting on the edge of the deep ravines in that vicinity and was not aware of Johnston's wounding and death at the time.  I don't know if he knew of Johnston's death before he himself was wounded.
              Ron

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24, 2008

                > Carl,
                >
                > What is the name and author of your Bowen book?
                >
                > Tom

                Tom, it's "The Forgotten 'Stonewall of the West': Major General John
                Stevens Bowen," Mercer University Press, 1997, ISBN 0-86554-530-8
                by Phillip Thomas Tucker

                I'm enjoying this book, but the author is not that good. The writing
                is mostly passable but there are times that it veers off into the
                awful. He never loses sight of what he wants to tell, and it is an
                interesting civil war story, so I'm OK with it. But I'm a little leary
                of recommending it.

                One of the problems of making the mistake of bad writing is that it
                creates doubt as to whether the author has done good research, etc. I
                have a hunch he is fairly much on the money, but probably he couldnt
                force himself to be critical of Bowen if that was ever called for. He
                really places Bowen on a pedestal.
              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 25, 2008
                  PS: Supposedly Bowen didn't have a good day at Big Black Bridge. I
                  haven't gotten that far, so we shall see what the author has to say
                  when I do get to that part of the book.