Re: [civilwarwest] Figured it out

  • Steven Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 3:23 PM
                      Not really a problem bro.... We're all here to learn!!

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 7:18 PM

        The First Nebraska fought on the Union side in the battle for Fort Donelson and at Shiloh .  Both times they were part of the Second Brigade (Col. John Milton Thayer) in Lew Wallace’s Division.

        What Confederate regiments were they up against in each fight?  Pointers to descriptions of these battles from the point-of-view of these units would be greatly appreciated.

        That one’s easy; the next is probably more of a challenge.

        Col. William D McCord commanded the 1st Nebr. in both encounters.  He resigned shortly after Shiloh, returned to Nebraska , and died of unrelated causes four months later.  If anyone has information on him, kindly let me know.  So far what I have discovered about him is from reports in the OR and photos taken of his grave.  Otherwise I’m coming up dry.  He seems to have had military experience before the war, possibly in Iowa , Illinois , Indiana , or Kentucky .

        In the meantime, thanks and try to stay cool this summer.

        Harlan Seyfer

        Plattsmouth, Nebraska

      • Steven Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 9:18 PM

          Harlan Seyfer <hbseyfer@...> wrote:
          That one’s easy; the next is probably more of a challenge.

          Col. William D McCord commanded the 1st Nebr. in both encounters

                                  hi harlan.....
                       Perhaps you've already checked, but here's couple of sites from google...Most of what I saw were just rosters, don't know if they would be of any help...???

                       take care....
                            steve