Figured it out

  • Donnie Nodine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2008
      Guys just wanted to let you know I just figured out that the west in the war is here in Tennessee and Iowa and so forth. I thought that it was out west as in west of Texas. Found out by reading an encyclopedia. Go figure..................... Feel real stupid right bout now lol

      Donnie
      Portland, TN
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2008
        You aren't the first to make a mistake, Donnie, and you won't be the last. Pull up a chair. Hang around for a while.

        ken

      • Steven Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
                          Not really a problem bro.... We're all here to learn!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008

            The First Nebraska fought on the Union side in the battle for Fort Donelson and at Shiloh .  Both times they were part of the Second Brigade (Col. John Milton Thayer) in Lew Wallace’s Division.

            What Confederate regiments were they up against in each fight?  Pointers to descriptions of these battles from the point-of-view of these units would be greatly appreciated.

            That one’s easy; the next is probably more of a challenge.

            Col. William D McCord commanded the 1st Nebr. in both encounters.  He resigned shortly after Shiloh, returned to Nebraska , and died of unrelated causes four months later.  If anyone has information on him, kindly let me know.  So far what I have discovered about him is from reports in the OR and photos taken of his grave.  Otherwise I’m coming up dry.  He seems to have had military experience before the war, possibly in Iowa , Illinois , Indiana , or Kentucky .

            In the meantime, thanks and try to stay cool this summer.

            Harlan Seyfer

            Plattsmouth, Nebraska

          • Steven Lee
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008

              Harlan Seyfer <hbseyfer@...> wrote:
              That one’s easy; the next is probably more of a challenge.

              Col. William D McCord commanded the 1st Nebr. in both encounters

                                      hi harlan.....
                           Perhaps you've already checked, but here's couple of sites from google...Most of what I saw were just rosters, don't know if they would be of any help...???

                           take care....
                                steve