RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Was Logan dissed for higher command?

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 11, 2008

      No, you are partially correct but it was Slocum who refused to server under Hooker.  He simply despised the man.  Hooker could tolerate Slocum but would never serve under him. Hooker had to learn to tolerate those who resented him since it was such a large club.  But his animosity toward Howard was justified as Howard had failed to bolster, heck, even make an effort, to build up a defensive position on the right flank of the Union Army at Chancellorsville.  Slocum’s animosity toward Hooker was just as justifiable.

      To pacify Slocum and keep him from resigning rather than server under Hooker, he was given command of the Vicksburg occupation and supply base where he was exceptional. Once Hooker left the army prior to Atlanta falling, Sherman quickly moved Slocum in where he rose to be Hooker’s number 2 man.  It was Slocum who first received the surrender of Atlanta and forwarded it on to Sherman’s HQ and it was Slocum who was the first Union force to enter Atlanta. Just after Atlanta Sherman divided his army into 2 separate army’s, confirmed by D.C. and used them as 2 independent wings under Sherman’s command. Slocum had one and Howard the other and Slocum performed excellently throughout the march to the sea and the fighting in the Carolina’s.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 11, 2008
        In a message dated 7/11/2008 4:21:48 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jvt1976@... writes:
        Logan would have made him just as mad, if not madder.
        Wasn't no way Sherman was going to appoint Hooker. Howard is a bit of a surprise, and Sherman had some agonizing to do. In the end, he chose a man who thought as he did and would react to orders as he wanted. I'd guess, when you're in Sherman's spot, you get to have things the way you'd like them to be.

        Sherman had a bellyfull of Hooker in the old days back in California. It's not so strange for a man like Sherman to keep those embers burning. He did have an enormous personal problem in turning away from Logan. And I don't doubt that the West Point syndrome was a factor.

        ken

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008
          what happened there?

          > Sherman had a bellyfull of Hooker in the old days back in California.
        • guitarmandanga
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008
            As far as I know, Hooker didn't blame Slocum for the outcome of
            Chancellorsville as much as he blamed Howard (whom he considered to
            be largely responsible for it). For his part though, Slocum
            detested Hooker for seemingly slaughtering the XII Corps at C'ville
            with little to show for it, and then abandoning the campaign. The
            rancor on Slocum's part ran so deep that when the XII Corps was sent
            with the XI Corps to help out at Chattanooga under Hooker's overall
            commander, Slocum requested to be reassigned. So the War Department
            promptly placed him in command of the Vicksburg garrison &
            environs. It was only after Hooker resigned in protest over
            Howard's promotion that Slocum was tapped to take command of
            Hooker's XX Corps. More than likely that choice was based on the
            fact that the XX Corps was in part composed of Slocum's former
            command (the XI Corps) anyway, and he would have been the most
            senior general in the immediate area. Of course, the fact that
            Slocum was Hooker's enemy could be those who wanted to see it as yet
            another slap in Hooker's face by Sherman & the War Department, one
            last rubbing of salt in the wounds as it were.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008
              In a message dated 7/12/2008 9:12:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
              what happened there?
              This is off the top of my head so bear with me and ignore anything purported to be a fact. You'll recollect that Cump was a civilian out there, while Hooker was in command of something or another, but it appears that Hooker played somewhat fast and loose with Army funds and Cump, being civilian, couldn't mess with the doings. But he did know about it and presumably carried that with him to taint any possible relationship with Hooker.

              However, Hooker did a good job in the western theater and Sherman wasn't one to bite off his own foot. When it came time to name a replacement for McPherson, old memories came back with a vengeance. For anyone else at the time, Hooker deserved the spot. Not, understandably, to Sherman who simply never liked the man.

              ken

            • Jason van Teylingen
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008
                thanks for the explanation

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008

                  You are more than welcome.  I hope it helps.

                  I actually wrote it and sent it on the 10th. It must have got held up some where.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008

                    What you say is pretty spot on. Slocum did a commendable job at C’ville but detested Hooker for a variety of reasons of which only some involved Chancellorsville.  A lot of personal conduct behaviors troubled Slocum plus he felt Hooker stabbed McClellan in the back to get Mac removed in favor of Burnside and later in favor of himself.

                    Another reason for the promotion to replace Hooker in the west was that Slocum earned it.  Prior to his arrival in Vicksburg if was rife with corruption and Emancipation issues that Slocum cleaned up to the best of his ability given the situation and the limited time he was there.  The crooks were glad to see him leave.

                    As I mentioned earlier, Slocum did an excellent job when he commanded the new army/wing for Sherman.

                    Tom

                    As far as I know, Hooker didn't blame Slocum for the outcome of
                    Chancellorsville as much as he blamed Howard (whom he considered to
                    be largely responsible for it). For his part though, Slocum
                    detested Hooker for seemingly slaughtering the XII Corps at C'ville
                    with little to show for it, and then abandoning the campaign. The
                    rancor on Slocum's part ran so deep that when the XII Corps was sent
                    with the XI Corps to help out at Chattanooga under Hooker's overall
                    commander, Slocum requested to be reassigned. So the War Department
                    promptly placed him in command of the Vicksburg garrison &
                    environs. It was only after Hooker resigned in protest over
                    Howard's promotion that Slocum was tapped to take command of
                    Hooker's XX Corps. More than likely that choice was based on the
                    fact that the XX Corps was in part composed of Slocum's former
                    command (the XI Corps) anyway, and he would have been the most
                    senior general in the immediate area. Of course, the fact that
                    Slocum was Hooker's enemy could be those who wanted to see it as yet
                    another slap in Hooker's face by Sherman & the War Department, one
                    last rubbing of salt in the wounds as it were.

                    --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Jason <jvt1976@... > wrote:

                    > Wasn't Hooker pissed off about Slocum getting a command as well,
                    or am I getting my facts screwed up?

                  • Chadd Vail
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008
                      Thanks for the information, this sheds some light for me on the Hooker Issue in the Altanta and Savannah Campaign. I totally appoligize for stealing the thunder from the original post which delt with Logan.

                      Chadd M. Vail

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 12, 2008

                        No problem. Free discussion of topics should always be welcome.  And it is a good question and subject.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 15, 2008
                          I certainly felt I should not give the answer to this, since I was
                          involved the first time the question came up in our little group. No
                          one else has answered, I see, but then again the question is phrased a
                          little cryptically.

                          Here's a hint: Mark Twain wrote that novel.

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                          <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                          [...]

                          > Ironically (and I say this as a Black Jack Fan) after Sherman passed him
                          > over for command of the AotT, arguing that Logan was too political,
                          Black
                          > Jack promptly took leave and went back to Illinois to campaign!
                          >

                          > Question for the day: what is Logan's connection to the greatest
                          American
                          > novel?
                        • Tony Gunter
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 15, 2008

                            > Finished the book "Black Jack: John A. Logan and Southern Illinois
                            in
                            > the Civil War Era" I Recommend it.
                            >
                            > The author discusses whether Logan was unjustly passed over as a
                            > replacement for McPherson when he was KIA. Interestingly, he gave
                            > Sherman's views on what he didnt like about "political generals."
                            > Seems that there is more to it than unthinking prejudice. I
                            > loaned the book to someone, so can't quote from it, but
                            > basically Sherman just felt that these guys typically just weren't
                            > full time. He was especially resentful when they would go
                            > home to campaign for reelection just as things were critical
                            > in the field.

                            From the moment he picked up a musket and fought as a citizen at
                            First Bull Run, Logan was sold on military life. He loved being in
                            the field and would have remained in the field. It was only a direct
                            request from the POTUS himself that sent Logan home to campaign.

                            I think there's a lot of smoke and misdirection when it comes to
                            Sherman's decision ... didn't Sherman blame it on Thomas? Another
                            Sherman correspondence, IIRC, claimed that Logan didn't pay close
                            enough attention to logistics. I'm not sure I have ever seen an
                            analysis that supports any of these assertions sufficiently.

                            Just my opinion, I believe Logan was mentored by the best in the
                            business (McPherson) and deserved a shot at army command.
                          • Harry Smeltzer
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 15, 2008

                              In the interest of full disclosure, Logan fought at Blackburn’s Ford on July 19, two days before First Bull Run.  He helped evacuate wounded from that affair and was in in Washington on the 21st.  You can read about it here:

                              http://bullrunnings.wordpress.com/2007/04/19/ecelbarger-on-logan/

                              Harry

                              > Finished the book "Black Jack: John A. Logan and Southern Illinois
                              in
                              > the Civil War Era" I Recommend it.
                              >
                              > The author discusses whether Logan was unjustly passed over as a
                              > replacement for McPherson when he was KIA. Interestingly, he gave
                              > Sherman's views on what he didnt like about "political
                              generals."
                              > Seems that there is more to it than unthinking prejudice. I
                              > loaned the book to someone, so can't quote from it, but
                              > basically Sherman just felt that these guys typically just weren't
                              > full time. He was especially resentful when they would go
                              > home to campaign for reelection just as things were critical
                              > in the field.

                              From the moment he picked up a musket and fought as a citizen at