Re: [civilwarwest] ancestor search

  • Jerry Stevens
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2008
      From CWSS
      Tom you have probably found all of these names but if not,,,,,,,,,,,

      MARYLAND
      1 Mix, William UnionInfantry 5th Regiment, Maryland Infantry
      1 Meeks, Adam UnionInfantry2nd Regiment, Maryland Infantry
      2 Meeks, David UnionCavalry1st Regiment, Maryland Cavalry, Potomac Home
      Brigade
      3 Meeks, Edward UnionInfantry1st Regiment, Maryland Infantry
      4 Meeks, Oliver P. UnionInfantry8th Regiment, Maryland Infantry
      5 Meeks, William B. UnionInfantry2nd Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore
      Infantry
      6 Meeks, William H. UnionArtilleryBattery B, Maryland Light Artillery (6
      months, 1863-1864)
      7 Meeks, Wm. UnionInfantry5th Regiment, Maryland Infantry

      ALL STATES USA
      89 Mix, John UnionInfantry128th Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
      90 Mix, John UnionCavalry2nd Regiment, US Dragoons (Regular Army)
      91 Mix, John UnionInfantry53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
      92 Mix, John UnionInfantry155th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
      93 Mix, John UnionArtillery6th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery
      94 Mix, John UnionCavalry3rd Regiment, New York Cavalry
      95 Mix, John UnionArtillery16th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery
      96 Mix, John UnionCavalry5th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry
      97 Mix, John B. UnionInfantry15th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
      98 Mix, John C. UnionInfantry135th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National
      Guard)
      99 Mix, John D. UnionCavalry8th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
      100 Mix, John D. UnionCavalry11th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
      101 Mix, John H. UnionInfantry7th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry
      102 Mix, John W. UnionCavalry2nd Regiment, New York Cavalry

      ALL SATES CSA
      22 Mix, John P. ConfederateInfantry2nd Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry
      23 Mix, John S. ConfederateInfantry43rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry

      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2008

        First off thanks, this is my first attempt to acquire any info. In fact I just recently found the first name of John.  So this is amazing. Secondly I see 3 cavalrymen. Is there any way to dig deeper into their history? Specifically does one have a German back ground? If so he is the man I’m looking for as he would still have an accent as he would be part of our first arrivals here.

        If interested, as a by product, he would also be related (Uncle?) to the legendary cowboy and movie star of whom I’m named after. That is always how we have been able to sort out the relationships. Many shortened there name to “Mix” but ours was pure German.  The San Diego Chargers had a Hall of Fame Offensive Tackle named Ron Mix but his real family name was Robinowicz (or something like that, I would need to look it up) and somehow got reduced to “Mix”.

        Thanks again.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2008
          Tom,
          It's been awhile since I have done any serious research on my
          ancestors CW history so I'm certainly not an expert on the how tos'.

          I think you should go to message boards on the particular state(s)
          that you suspect your John Mix to have been with.

          Below is the url of the Maryland Message Board and usualy the guys
          at these state boards are anxious you help folks find history for people
          like us. You can also leave multiple messages at different
          state boards if need be. There is a link somewhere on the home
          page to visit other state boards.
          http://history-sites.net/mb/cw/mdcwmb/index.cgi

          In my state, Mississippi, I go to our local archives and look through
          all the records of Mississippi boys and find information and I assume each
          state
          has the same set up.

          The CWSS site has basic info on soldiers and sailors and you may be
          able to find what you are looking for there and maybe order his records,,
          for
          a fee I'm sure
          http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/Personz_Search1.cfm

          A MIX search on the 1860 Maryland Census shows a
          Jacob Mix and wife Clara,, a tailor, age 44 from Hesses which I think is
          somewhere
          in Germany. A lot of his neighbors were stated as being born in Germany

          Jacob Mix 44
          Clara Mix 44

          A search on the 1860 Virginia census shows a John Mix
          on it but this John Mix shows born in Maryland and may be a little too old
          go off to war but many that age did. And living in VA may have joined with
          CSA.

          1860 Marion Co, VA
          John Mix 45
          Elizabeth Mix 46
          Susan M Mix 23
          Laura H Mix 14
          Charles W Mix 12

          1870 Louisville Ward 3, Jefferson Co, KY
          John Mix 56 a stonemason from Prussia
          Elija Mix 52
          John Mix 20
          Jacob Mix 18
          Barbara Mix14
          Kate Mix 11

          These MICs,, born Germany in St Louis 1860 living in household with
          a Henry Papan and family and being 30 y/o may be in the right age gap.
          It doesn't say if Catherine is his wife. Could be wife or sister from their
          ages.

          Catherin Mic 21
          John Mic 30

          Also a John Mic in Minnesota, Farmer. age 60 from Germany.

          As you can see it gets crazy with all the possibilities.

          good luck
          jerry

          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2008

            Jerry,

            Thanks so very much. That is a lot of work and it is deeply appreciated.

            Perhaps I should have added this bit of info to help but that potion of the family settled a place that became Mixville, PA.  I’m sure it is something else now if it even exists today. But that is where Tom was from and born some where around there. My branch pushed on to southern Indiana and settled here, not far from where I currently live so they lost a lot contact over time.  Many from the Mixville bunch would move to Texas but that was post Civil War.  The information I got on John was from a Maryland CW historian who said he may have been involved with cavalry unit with a heavy German slant to. I know he served with John Buford at Gettysburg but that is where what I “know” (and that is questionable) ends.

            I will try the sites you mentioned but the above helps you a little more as you much better versed than I am in such research I would appreciate any additional help. You have been great.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2008
              Tom,

              Cowboy Tom was from a community called Mix Run, PA in Cameron County

              http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&v=2&style=r&rtp=~&&msnurl=home.aspx?
              mapblast%3dtrue%26redirect%3dfalse&msnculture=en-US#JmJiPTQxLjQxODQ5NzgwMDc1
              MzIlN2UtNzguMTMzMjAzMjY5MTkyMyU3ZTQxLjMwNjQ3ODk3MzQ0NzYlN2UtNzguMzMyMDMyNTc3
              MDI5NQ==

              There wre four MIX families in Cameron Co. in 1870 all neighbors
              and obviously related,, probably brothers, maybe cousins

              Page 21 Gibson Township
              Hezekiah Mix 53 born PA, Farmer
              Alma Mix 47
              Eliza A Mix 21
              Emma Mix 18
              Clarra Mix 7

              Page 22 Gibson Township
              James Mix 36 Born PA, Laborer
              Mary M Mix 34
              Mary Mix 10
              Kate Mix 8
              George Mix 6
              John Mix 3
              Henry Mix 6/12
              James Ballman 25 born NY Laborer
              Morgan Wilson 26 born PA, Laborer

              Page 23 Gibson Township
              Henry Mix 44 born PA, Farmer
              Lydia C Mix 37
              Leonard Mix 17
              Newton Mix 12
              James Mix 11
              Warren Mix 7
              Wait Mix 1
              Simpson Barr 24 born PA, Carpenter

              Page 23 Gibson Township
              Salomon Mix 46 born PA Farmer
              Sarah Arna Mix 39
              Edwin Mix 16
              Sarah M Mix 12
              William J Mix 10
              Emelina H Mix 7
              Solomon E Mix 1

              There are quite a few other MIX families scattered through Pennsylvania
              on the 1870 Census but these are the ones in Cameron County

              Mix Run Cemetery Site
              http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacamero/cemetery/mixrun.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mix

              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2008

                That is right!  For some reason I had “Mixville” in mind.  I guess I just messed it up but the memory isn’t what it used to be.  But I have heard “Mixville” in the family so it may have been just family slang thing that I wasn’t aware of or forgot.

                The family came over when Bismarck was in power. A significant part of the family stayed in Danzig, East Prussia because Karl Mix was Bismarck’s personal body guard and my  great grand father played around the future Kaiser, Wilhelm, who he really couldn’t stand. So no one was born here prior to that eliminating several based on the ages I see.  The last meal they had in Germany was in the palace with Otto Von Bismarck.  I always thought that was pretty cool.

                An interesting note, during WW II my dad was an MP at a POW camp and Karl’s grandson Kurt was one of the POW’s there.  Once they discovered the relationship dad was soon transferred else where.  But he got to visit with him often. After the war they were stuck in East Germany so for us it was a very big deal when that wall came down.  Heck, I know about them than I do the ones that came over on the boat.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2008
                  The only Mixville I could find was, present day, Mixville, SC.

                  On a personal note and talking about silent movie cowboy
                  Tom Mix,
                  My late father, passed in 1978, born 1911.  His
                  all time hero as a kid in the silent movie days was Tom Mix.
                  I was of the Roy Rogers and Gene Autry generation but they
                  couldn't hold Tom's coat according to my old man.  And Trigger
                  couldn't hold Tony's of course.
                  I wish there was someway way to fwd all of this stuff to heaven, the old man
                  would get a kick out of it.
                  But I guess the old man and Tom aaaaaand Tony are all up there maybe getting
                  a kick out of it anyway.  I hope so anyway.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2008

                    I’m sure they are.  I look forward to that day to. I’m my dad has already visited.

                    Check out the movie “Sunset” with Bruce Willis as Tom and Jim Garner as his good friend Wyatt Earp. A great show and captures the real character of the two real men as well.