ancestor search

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2008

      Gang,

      Many here are excellent at tracking down information on our Civil War ancestors and I have a request for that help.  A possible relative of mine by the name of John Mix served as an officer on John Buford’s staff. He may have been from Maryland and served a unit from there, but most of his part of the family was in east Pennsylvania.  Now that is all the information I have except that if he is a relative he probably would have been a German immigrant from East Prussia thus his real name may have been Johan but Anglicized to John.

      If any can give me any kind of assistance, privately or on the site, I would be very grateful.  I strongly suspect him to be a relative and he would have been an excellent staff officer candidate due to a strong Prussian military back ground.

      Thanks in advance

      Tom

      I kindly hope the moderator will allow this to be posted.

    • Jerry Stevens
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2008
        From CWSS
        Tom you have probably found all of these names but if not,,,,,,,,,,,

        MARYLAND
        1 Mix, William UnionInfantry 5th Regiment, Maryland Infantry
        1 Meeks, Adam UnionInfantry2nd Regiment, Maryland Infantry
        2 Meeks, David UnionCavalry1st Regiment, Maryland Cavalry, Potomac Home
        Brigade
        3 Meeks, Edward UnionInfantry1st Regiment, Maryland Infantry
        4 Meeks, Oliver P. UnionInfantry8th Regiment, Maryland Infantry
        5 Meeks, William B. UnionInfantry2nd Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore
        Infantry
        6 Meeks, William H. UnionArtilleryBattery B, Maryland Light Artillery (6
        months, 1863-1864)
        7 Meeks, Wm. UnionInfantry5th Regiment, Maryland Infantry

        ALL STATES USA
        89 Mix, John UnionInfantry128th Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
        90 Mix, John UnionCavalry2nd Regiment, US Dragoons (Regular Army)
        91 Mix, John UnionInfantry53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry
        92 Mix, John UnionInfantry155th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
        93 Mix, John UnionArtillery6th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery
        94 Mix, John UnionCavalry3rd Regiment, New York Cavalry
        95 Mix, John UnionArtillery16th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery
        96 Mix, John UnionCavalry5th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry
        97 Mix, John B. UnionInfantry15th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
        98 Mix, John C. UnionInfantry135th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National
        Guard)
        99 Mix, John D. UnionCavalry8th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
        100 Mix, John D. UnionCavalry11th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
        101 Mix, John H. UnionInfantry7th Regiment, New Hampshire Infantry
        102 Mix, John W. UnionCavalry2nd Regiment, New York Cavalry

        ALL SATES CSA
        22 Mix, John P. ConfederateInfantry2nd Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry
        23 Mix, John S. ConfederateInfantry43rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry

        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2008

          First off thanks, this is my first attempt to acquire any info. In fact I just recently found the first name of John.  So this is amazing. Secondly I see 3 cavalrymen. Is there any way to dig deeper into their history? Specifically does one have a German back ground? If so he is the man I’m looking for as he would still have an accent as he would be part of our first arrivals here.

          If interested, as a by product, he would also be related (Uncle?) to the legendary cowboy and movie star of whom I’m named after. That is always how we have been able to sort out the relationships. Many shortened there name to “Mix” but ours was pure German.  The San Diego Chargers had a Hall of Fame Offensive Tackle named Ron Mix but his real family name was Robinowicz (or something like that, I would need to look it up) and somehow got reduced to “Mix”.

          Thanks again.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2008
            Tom,
            It's been awhile since I have done any serious research on my
            ancestors CW history so I'm certainly not an expert on the how tos'.

            I think you should go to message boards on the particular state(s)
            that you suspect your John Mix to have been with.

            Below is the url of the Maryland Message Board and usualy the guys
            at these state boards are anxious you help folks find history for people
            like us. You can also leave multiple messages at different
            state boards if need be. There is a link somewhere on the home
            page to visit other state boards.
            http://history-sites.net/mb/cw/mdcwmb/index.cgi

            In my state, Mississippi, I go to our local archives and look through
            all the records of Mississippi boys and find information and I assume each
            state
            has the same set up.

            The CWSS site has basic info on soldiers and sailors and you may be
            able to find what you are looking for there and maybe order his records,,
            for
            a fee I'm sure
            http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/Personz_Search1.cfm

            A MIX search on the 1860 Maryland Census shows a
            Jacob Mix and wife Clara,, a tailor, age 44 from Hesses which I think is
            somewhere
            in Germany. A lot of his neighbors were stated as being born in Germany

            Jacob Mix 44
            Clara Mix 44

            A search on the 1860 Virginia census shows a John Mix
            on it but this John Mix shows born in Maryland and may be a little too old
            go off to war but many that age did. And living in VA may have joined with
            CSA.

            1860 Marion Co, VA
            John Mix 45
            Elizabeth Mix 46
            Susan M Mix 23
            Laura H Mix 14
            Charles W Mix 12

            1870 Louisville Ward 3, Jefferson Co, KY
            John Mix 56 a stonemason from Prussia
            Elija Mix 52
            John Mix 20
            Jacob Mix 18
            Barbara Mix14
            Kate Mix 11

            These MICs,, born Germany in St Louis 1860 living in household with
            a Henry Papan and family and being 30 y/o may be in the right age gap.
            It doesn't say if Catherine is his wife. Could be wife or sister from their
            ages.

            Catherin Mic 21
            John Mic 30

            Also a John Mic in Minnesota, Farmer. age 60 from Germany.

            As you can see it gets crazy with all the possibilities.

            good luck
            jerry

            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2008

              Jerry,

              Thanks so very much. That is a lot of work and it is deeply appreciated.

              Perhaps I should have added this bit of info to help but that potion of the family settled a place that became Mixville, PA.  I’m sure it is something else now if it even exists today. But that is where Tom was from and born some where around there. My branch pushed on to southern Indiana and settled here, not far from where I currently live so they lost a lot contact over time.  Many from the Mixville bunch would move to Texas but that was post Civil War.  The information I got on John was from a Maryland CW historian who said he may have been involved with cavalry unit with a heavy German slant to. I know he served with John Buford at Gettysburg but that is where what I “know” (and that is questionable) ends.

              I will try the sites you mentioned but the above helps you a little more as you much better versed than I am in such research I would appreciate any additional help. You have been great.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2008
                Tom,

                Cowboy Tom was from a community called Mix Run, PA in Cameron County

                http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?wip=2&v=2&style=r&rtp=~&&msnurl=home.aspx?
                mapblast%3dtrue%26redirect%3dfalse&msnculture=en-US#JmJiPTQxLjQxODQ5NzgwMDc1
                MzIlN2UtNzguMTMzMjAzMjY5MTkyMyU3ZTQxLjMwNjQ3ODk3MzQ0NzYlN2UtNzguMzMyMDMyNTc3
                MDI5NQ==

                There wre four MIX families in Cameron Co. in 1870 all neighbors
                and obviously related,, probably brothers, maybe cousins

                Page 21 Gibson Township
                Hezekiah Mix 53 born PA, Farmer
                Alma Mix 47
                Eliza A Mix 21
                Emma Mix 18
                Clarra Mix 7

                Page 22 Gibson Township
                James Mix 36 Born PA, Laborer
                Mary M Mix 34
                Mary Mix 10
                Kate Mix 8
                George Mix 6
                John Mix 3
                Henry Mix 6/12
                James Ballman 25 born NY Laborer
                Morgan Wilson 26 born PA, Laborer

                Page 23 Gibson Township
                Henry Mix 44 born PA, Farmer
                Lydia C Mix 37
                Leonard Mix 17
                Newton Mix 12
                James Mix 11
                Warren Mix 7
                Wait Mix 1
                Simpson Barr 24 born PA, Carpenter

                Page 23 Gibson Township
                Salomon Mix 46 born PA Farmer
                Sarah Arna Mix 39
                Edwin Mix 16
                Sarah M Mix 12
                William J Mix 10
                Emelina H Mix 7
                Solomon E Mix 1

                There are quite a few other MIX families scattered through Pennsylvania
                on the 1870 Census but these are the ones in Cameron County

                Mix Run Cemetery Site
                http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacamero/cemetery/mixrun.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mix

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2008

                  That is right!  For some reason I had “Mixville” in mind.  I guess I just messed it up but the memory isn’t what it used to be.  But I have heard “Mixville” in the family so it may have been just family slang thing that I wasn’t aware of or forgot.

                  The family came over when Bismarck was in power. A significant part of the family stayed in Danzig, East Prussia because Karl Mix was Bismarck’s personal body guard and my  great grand father played around the future Kaiser, Wilhelm, who he really couldn’t stand. So no one was born here prior to that eliminating several based on the ages I see.  The last meal they had in Germany was in the palace with Otto Von Bismarck.  I always thought that was pretty cool.

                  An interesting note, during WW II my dad was an MP at a POW camp and Karl’s grandson Kurt was one of the POW’s there.  Once they discovered the relationship dad was soon transferred else where.  But he got to visit with him often. After the war they were stuck in East Germany so for us it was a very big deal when that wall came down.  Heck, I know about them than I do the ones that came over on the boat.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2008
                    The only Mixville I could find was, present day, Mixville, SC.

                    On a personal note and talking about silent movie cowboy
                    Tom Mix,
                    My late father, passed in 1978, born 1911.  His
                    all time hero as a kid in the silent movie days was Tom Mix.
                    I was of the Roy Rogers and Gene Autry generation but they
                    couldn't hold Tom's coat according to my old man.  And Trigger
                    couldn't hold Tony's of course.
                    I wish there was someway way to fwd all of this stuff to heaven, the old man
                    would get a kick out of it.
                    But I guess the old man and Tom aaaaaand Tony are all up there maybe getting
                    a kick out of it anyway.  I hope so anyway.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2008

                      I’m sure they are.  I look forward to that day to. I’m my dad has already visited.

                      Check out the movie “Sunset” with Bruce Willis as Tom and Jim Garner as his good friend Wyatt Earp. A great show and captures the real character of the two real men as well.