Black Jack goes to Congress

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19 6:50 AM
      reading a book on general Logan

      seems that back in those days, they had trouble electing a Speaker of
      the House. This was going on in Logan's first Congressional term
      [1958?]; apparently with the secession crisis looming, it made
      everybody nervous, as if it might even be a factor to help bring civil
      war, not having congress properly going... I guess the committee
      heads, committee assignments, etc all got held up and essentially
      there was no lower house operating properly.... it finally got
      resolved but took a while.

      I thought I would ask if anyone knows why we don't seem to have this
      problem today. Is it just because there is a two party system and it
      is unlikely that there would be enough independents to louse things up?

      back then Whigs and Know-nothings got a lot of seats and this did mess
      things up.