Category: "Probably shouldnt admit this" ... Re: Tullahoma

  • Art Bagley
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, lilsteve68@... wrote:

      > Tullahoma was also a training ground during WWII but that's
      for a
      > different board.. : )
      > The area was called Camp Forrest after N.B. Forrest If I recall
      >
      > Steven cone

      In the renowned Ken Burns ACW series, there was the common soldier's
      interpretation of the word Tullahoma. Since Bragg was forced out of
      that place during a very rainy period of weather, some unnamed wag of
      the Army of Tennessee described the name Tullahoma as deriving from
      two Greek words, "tulla" which meant mud and "homa" which meant MORE
      mud.

      I always get a chuckle out of that. The simplified yet educated and
      wholly realistic view of the world by a common soldier.

      ArtorBart