Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Civil War Talk Radio

  • rbaquero@netzero.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2008

       Hi guys ! :

      I did get into the web page, there is a Question there : Did Abraham Lincoln had slaves ? but, I couldn't find the answer...do you know the answer ? thanks .

      - Raul

    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2008
        In a message dated 5/6/2008 12:02:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time, rbaquero@... writes:
        I did get into the web page, there is a Question there : Did Abraham Lincoln had slaves ? but, I couldn't find the answer...do you know the answer ? thanks
        I know of no record stating that Abe ever even thought of owning a slave. You must have gotten ahold of that book that has him having affairs with men and cheating on Mary and having a fatal disease and. ...

        ken

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2008

          He never owned slaves.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2008
            Prokopowicz, the host of CWTR, wrote a new book entitled "Did Lincoln
            Own Slaves?" I believe he means for that to be an ironical title, a
            question this professor often gets from students, etc.

            So I would think that is what Raul saw at that website, an
            advertisement for that book.

            I have ordered the book and perhaps can report on it here, but will
            have to be careful if the title is any indication [btw, he re-assures
            that it is not just a book that is written for 'young readers'... as
            might be concluded from that title]
          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2008
              It's one of the best Lincoln books I've read in a long while.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2008
                if you like civil war talk radio... more grist for the mill? civil war
                oriented, but you can't tell by the title

                http://virtualbooksigning.net/
              • marmusman
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29, 2010
                  I just wanted to pass this information on to other Civil War enthusiasts.

                  Civil War Talk Radio is an internet based "radio" program hosted by Gerry Prokopowicz, History Department Head at East Carolina University. Each show is an hour long interview with leading historians and authors of Civil War topics.

                  For those of you that listen to the show, you know that the "official" website (http://www.voiceamerica.com/worldtalkradio/vshow.aspx?sid=865) run by the overlords at World Talk Radio is very cumbersome and does not get updated regularly with show information.

                  There is a new fan based website that organizes the shows and is updated regularly as the season moves forward. It is called Impediments of War, located at www.impedimentsofwar.org, and includes the current season and archived shows of the past 6 seasons. You can obtain information on the guests, descriptions of shows and links back to the World Talk Radio servers for downloading or listening to the MP3s.

                  Enjoy!