Re: [SPAM]Re: [civilwarwest] A Question on Numbers

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Thanks Ken.  Very valid point.  I just send the individual an email for a clarification.  Here is what I sent.

      ". . . You are going to have to define what you mean by "West."  Are you referring to one of the Western Theaters or are you referring to the Frontier?  For instance, in my discussion group I define the Western Theater as any engagement that did not involve Lee's Army of Northern Virginia or any element thereof.  The Index to the Official Records actually list five theaters as being Western and I just combined them all for purposes of discussion.  In either case it is going to be very difficult to come up with a reliable number."
      As you can see, not all the questions I get from my website are all easy to answer.  However, I do try to respond to them all.  Some I just have to say, "sorry, I can't help." I allow about 15 minutes research time per question.  That is unless the question really interests me.  Those I spend a lot more time with.  For instance I got one a while back asking what the impact of "chicken pox" was on the soldiers in the Civil War.  Since I have the  Medical Records of the Civil War I thought that would be a simple question to answer.  Would you believe that chicken pox is not mentioned in any of the Official Records (Army, Navy, or Medical).  The best I could figure was that they lumped chicken pox in with the mild form of small pox called varioloid because this is mentioned.  I checked with a couple of cousins of mine that are doctors and have an interest in the Civil War and they agreed that certainly sounded like what happened.  During the research I learned more than I ever wanted to know about small pox in the Civil War :-)

      Thanks for responding.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        I know there were a number of Companies in the Native California Battalion here in California that were raised to keep secessionist under control in California while the regular army was sent to the east to fight.  I don't know how many served in the Native California Battalion over the years of the War .  Several companies served at the Drum Barracks in Wilmington California.  Others were at Camp Babbett  in Visalia California .  Both strong Confederate areas in California .
        Susan