A Question on Numbers

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Good Morning,

      I am hoping some of you might be able to help with this question.  It sure would save me a lot of time.  This inquiry came in from my website.

      ". . .Hello, I was hoping you could help me with a question. How many union troops total served in the west during the civil war?
      thanks"

      I hope someone has this number handy.  The only way I know to find it is to look up each Union army, where they served, and the number of men in that army.

      Thanks a lot.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Believe your questioner might be referring to the frontier rather than the western theater. It's still a tough number to pin down. How many regulars were not called east? How many new regular regiments were formed? Would you count the Confederates who "volunteered" to serve rather than be POWs?

        Figuring roughly 14,000 pre-war, less those interned in Texas makes the number around 11,000. Less those called east, plus those recruited, plus the galvanized Yankees, minus desertions. Makes my hair hurt.

        A bit early in the day to start tossing them back, but I'm tempted.

        ken

      • oneplez
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2008

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning,
          >
          > I am hoping some of you might be able to help with this question. It sure would save me a lot of time. This inquiry came in from my website.
          >
          > ". . .Hello, I was hoping you could help me with a question. How many union troops total served in the west during the civil war?
          > thanks"

          I got into this one on another site and came up with this:

          Here is a scan of Boatners `Numbers and Losses':

          Page 602

          NUMBERS AND LOSSES.

          In the Union Army a total of 2,128,948 men served and 359,528 are known to have died. Of the troops engaged, 75,213 were regulars, 1,933,779 were volunteers, 46,347 were drafted, and 73,607 were substitutes. Of the total casualties. 67,058 were killed in action, 43,012 died of wounds, 224,586 died of disease, and 24,872 died from accidents or otber causes. The above figures are from the Adj. Gen.'s Office as published in the Army Almanac of 1950.

          The strength of the Confederate Army has been the subject of much controversy, the estimates ranging between 600,000 and 1,500,000. Taking a total of 2,893,304 enlistments in the Union Army during the war, and between 1,227,890 and 1,406,180 enlistments is the Confederate Army during the war and reducing both figures to the standard of three-year enlistments, Livermore puts Union strength at 1,556,678 and Confederate strength at 1,082,111.

          Got other  numbers from 'Dyer's Compendium, "SUMMARY OF TROOPS FURNISHED" and separated eastern states troops from the western states.The western total equalled 1.3 mil.   Not very accurate but the best I could find. I couldn't find anything that specified the amounts of troops in each theater. That's why I took the total and split them east and west. Probably not accurate but I couldn't find anything else. The individual I responded to insisted that there were only a million total troops, which number he got from Phister's p. 62.

          Don

        • oneplez
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2008
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:

            Another site!

            http://www.civilwarhome.com/armysize.htm

            > Good Morning,
            >
            > I am hoping some of you might be able to help with this question.
            It sure would save me a lot of time. This inquiry came in from my
            website.

            > ". . .Hello, I was hoping you could help me with a question. How
            many union troops total served in the west during the civil war?
            > thanks"
            >
            > I hope someone has this number handy. The only way I know to find
            it is to look up each Union army, where they served, and the number
            of men in that army.

            > Thanks a lot.
            >
            > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
            > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            > http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • gnrljejohnston
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2008
              Dick, Did you get my post on the numbers from the Statistical
              Records. I sent it earlier today, but I do not see it on the posts.
              If you did not get it, let me know and I will resend those numbers.

              JEJ
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2008
                Hi JEJ,

                Yep, I got it. You sent it to me directly that's why you did not see it
                post in the group. Thanks.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com