Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Mission Ridge/Glass House/Tunnel/Belle Isle:Loomis/IL26th

  • Gerald Doolen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21, 2008
      2008Apr21

      What first interested me in Mission Ridge was a family member of 26th IL Infantry captured at Mission Ridge/Tunnel area Nov25 and died at Andersonville soon after it opened. This had an effect in my lifetime as my great grandfathers tales were passed along. I have since become interested in the history of the area and battles.

      I have seen maps of area and picked out what I thought to be a likely site of Glass House, was hoping for something labled; maybe a university search. Now to find the maps.

      Thanks for the information.

      swan_pat_estelle <pbswan@...> wrote:
      Gerald,
      There are at least three maps that indicate buildings where the Glass
      Farmstead was said to be located in the reports of the battle at the
      north end of Missionary Ridge. None label these buildings as the
      Glass farmstead, but they are the only buildings shown on that farm
      and are in the correct location. The maps are:
      From the Official Military Atlas of the Civil War compiled by Davis,
      Perry & Kirkley: Plate 45 No.8 ("Map of Missionary Ridge") and Plate
      49 No. 1. ("Map of the Battlefield of Chattanooga" ). The third is the
      "Map of the Battlefields of Chattanooga & Wauhatchie" that was
      published by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park Commission
      in 1896. It can be obtained from the shops at the C&C Battlefield Hdqtrs.

      I am interested in the Loomis Brigade. What is your interest in North
      Missionary Ridge?

      Hope this is helpful.
      Pat

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Gerald Doolen <cwwgeraldd45@ ...>
      wrote:

      > 2008Apr18
      > Thanks! this is very helpful; reafirms my suspicions. I will
      continue studying history of the battle wherever I can find it;
      looking for a map showing location of Glass House.

      > LWhite64@... wrote:
      > Gerald,
      > Unfortunately there is nothing marking the area where the
      Glass House was, only a Glass St. As to the Tunnel, it was not used
      by the CS troops, but the way the ground appeared in the area could
      make it seem like they came from the Tunnel, being very rolling, all
      of the CS counterattacks were launched from on top of the ridge. The
      troops that lost the most prisoners I believe were Loomis's brigade
      which was pinned down along the Railroad embankment. That property is
      owned by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.

      > Lee

      of the most important battles being fought there. However the
      topography and residential nature of the area makes it difficult to
      navigate. I recently visited some of sites on Mission Ridge; not
      having a good map I spent a lot of time and missed many, a small scale
      map was all I could pry out of the rangers at Chickamauga. I plan to
      return soon armed with USGS, Mapquest, etc. will focus on tunnel area.
      Looking for the site of the "Glass House" as many writings mention it;
      is the site known/marked ?

      > I am interested in information reguarding prisoners, transport,
      etc. I recall seing a drawing "Surrender at Glass House" but have not
      been able to relocate. Some unit histories mention Confederate Troops
      coming out of tunnel, capturing Union troops. It seems reasonable that
      the tunnel would be heavily defended, and a good base for operations,
      however I have found no mentioned in official records.

      > Pleased to finally find a site devoted to the Western Theatre.
      Also hope to visit Western Theatre Library at WKU.

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Try it now.

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Get the MapQuest Toolbar, Maps, Traffic, Directions More!
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Try it now.

    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
        Gerald,
        Yes, Loomis' regiment, the 26th IL, was in Loomis' Brigade along with
        the 12th and 100th IN and the 90th IL. They had a rough day there
        facing Cleburne on Missionary Ridge. Iowa and Pennsylvania regiments
        were also involved around the Glass House, or the hill beyond.
        Several of the Union men were captured and went to Andersonville. I'm
        sorry about your relative. That was not a pleasant fate!

        wrote:

        > 2008Apr21
        >
        > What first interested me in Mission Ridge was a family member of
        26th IL Infantry captured at Mission Ridge/Tunnel area Nov25 and died
        at Andersonville soon after it opened. This had an effect in my
        lifetime as my great grandfathers tales were passed along. I have
        since become interested in the history of the area and battles.

        > I have seen maps of area and picked out what I thought to be a
        likely site of Glass House, was hoping for something labled; maybe a
        university search. Now to find the maps.

        > Thanks for the information.
        >
        > swan_pat_estelle <pbswan@...> wrote:
        > Gerald,
        > There are at least three maps that indicate buildings where the Glass
        > Farmstead was said to be located in the reports of the battle at the
        > north end of Missionary Ridge. None label these buildings as the
        > Glass farmstead, but they are the only buildings shown on that farm
        > and are in the correct location. The maps are:
        > From the Official Military Atlas of the Civil War compiled by Davis,
        > Perry & Kirkley: Plate 45 No.8 ("Map of Missionary Ridge") and Plate
        > 49 No. 1. ("Map of the Battlefield of Chattanooga"). The third is the
        > "Map of the Battlefields of Chattanooga & Wauhatchie" that was
        > published by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park Commission
        > in 1896. It can be obtained from the shops at the C&C Battlefield
        Hdqtrs.

        > I am interested in the Loomis Brigade. What is your interest in North
        > Missionary Ridge?
        >
        > Hope this is helpful.
        > Pat
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Doolen <cwwgeraldd45@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > 2008Apr18
        > > Thanks! this is very helpful; reafirms my suspicions. I will
        > continue studying history of the battle wherever I can find it;
        > looking for a map showing location of Glass House.
        > >
        > > LWhite64@ wrote:
        > > Gerald,
        > > Unfortunately there is nothing marking the area where the
        > Glass House was, only a Glass St. As to the Tunnel, it was not used
        > by the CS troops, but the way the ground appeared in the area could
        > make it seem like they came from the Tunnel, being very rolling, all
        > of the CS counterattacks were launched from on top of the ridge. The
        > troops that lost the most prisoners I believe were Loomis's brigade
        > which was pinned down along the Railroad embankment. That property is
        > owned by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.
        > >
        > > Lee

        Try it now.

      • oneplez
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2008

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Gerald Doolen <cwwgeraldd45@...> wrote:

          > 2008Apr17
          >
          > Chattanooga has one of the best WBS resource in Mission Ridge; one of the most important battles being fought there. However the topography and residential nature of the area makes it difficult to navigate. I recently visited some of sites on Mission Ridge; not having a good map I spent a lot of time and missed many, a small scale map was all I could pry out of the rangers at Chickamauga. I plan to return soon armed with USGS, Mapquest, etc. will focus on tunnel area. Looking for the site of the "Glass House" as many writings mention it; is the site known/marked ?
          >
          > I am interested in information reguarding prisoners, transport, etc. I recall seing a drawing "Surrender at Glass House" but have not been able to relocate. Some unit histories mention Confederate Troops coming out of tunnel, capturing Union troops. It seems reasonable that the tunnel would be heavily defended, and a good base for operations, however I have found no mentioned in official records.

          Try these sites  :

          http://shilohnick.blogspot.com/2008/02/glass-reservation.html

          http://civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/ct3/places/pr_06.htm

          http://history-sites.net/mb/cw/incwmb/index.cgi?noframes;read=207

          or Google:   "Glass house at Missionary ridge"

          Don

        • Gerald Doolen
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2008
            2008Apr27
            Excellent sources; I just scouted the area Friday (Apr 25).
            Thanks

            oneplez <oneplez@...> wrote:

            --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, Gerald Doolen <cwwgeraldd45@ ...> wrote:

            > 2008Apr17
            >
            > Chattanooga has one of the best WBS resource in Mission Ridge; one of the most important battles being fought there. However the topography and residential nature of the area makes it difficult to navigate. I recently visited some of sites on Mission Ridge; not having a good map I spent a lot of time and missed many, a small scale map was all I could pry out of the rangers at Chickamauga. I plan to return soon armed with USGS, Mapquest, etc. will focus on tunnel area. Looking for the site of the "Glass House" as many writings mention it; is the site known/marked ?
            >
            > I am interested in information reguarding prisoners, transport, etc. I recall seing a drawing "Surrender at Glass House" but have not been able to relocate. Some unit histories mention Confederate Troops coming out of tunnel, capturing Union troops. It seems reasonable that the tunnel would be heavily defended, and a good base for operations, however I have found no mentioned in official records.
            Try these sites  :
            or Google:   "Glass house at Missionary ridge"

            Don

          • Patricia Swan
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
              Gerald,
              You may be interested in some photos that Gerald Hodge has on his 39th
              Georgia site. The 39th Georgia was one of two regiments that faced
              Loomis' brigade (and thus the 26th Illinois) at Missionary Ridge. The
              photos are taken around the tunnel area where the 29th came off the hill
              and captured some Union troops. His site is:
              http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=80f32a8617c5f99eea8f7ebbcb5520ce&#/pages/Descendants-and-Friends-of-the-39th-Georgia-Volunteer-Infantry-Regiment/136189484347?v=photos&ref=mf
              <http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=80f32a8617c5f99eea8f7ebbcb5520ce&#/pages/Descendants-and-Friends-of-the-39th-Georgia-Volunteer-Infantry-Regiment/136189484347?v=photos&ref=mf>Best,
              Pat