RE: [civilwarwest] Big Dogs

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 127 , Jun 1, 2001
      This is one of the big differences between the kind of War Sherman
      practiced in Georgia and the Carolinas and that practiced by both sides
      in World War II:

      Aerial bombing destroys the people as well as the property. But when
      Sherman made the people of Georgia "howl" in his delightful words he was
      practicing psychological warfare of the highest magnitude.

      World War II soldiers, reading and hearing about their homes *and* loved
      ones being destroyed in London or Coventry or Berlin, now had only their
      fellow soldiers as "family."

      But CW soldiers, reading of the destruction of their homes knew that
      their loved ones were still alive and needed them a lot more than March
      Robert did. The late 1864 Ors are filled with complaints from Lee about
      the men going over the hill.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6276 Adco@...

      Cash

      Surley the letters from home can attribute to the mass numbers of
      desertions, but that does not affect their will to fight. As a
      human being, the care of a loved one is far more to the person
      than the army and fighting. Most everyone would leave the army,
      be it north or South, to attend to their families first. It does
      not mean they did not have the will to fight. It means they cared
      for their loved ones. Surely most people would desert or at least
      try to desert if they keep getting letters from the people they
      cherish most telling them of all the hardships. If my parents
      life depended upon me coming home to help them survive because
      someone or something destroyed their means of survival, I would do
      al in my power to help and if that meant desert, then so be it.
      It does not mean I don't have the will to fight.

      Now if you are talking desertions to the enemy or to another
      country (like going to Canada during the Vietnam War), then I
      would have to agree with you that the will to fight was not
      there. But to desert to saved a loved one (maybe I am the only
      one who feels this way), is not the same as deserting because you
      don't have the will to fight.

      Thank you
      Andy

      You're leaving out the massive numbers of desertions Lee had to
      contend with.  Many of those desertions were spurred by piteous
      letters from home describing the suffering the family was going
      through and pleading for the soldier to come home and help them.
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 127 of 127 , Jul 7, 2001
        I would second Carl. Grandpa's knee is a wonderful place to learn to
        love history but often a terrible place to learn accurate history.

        I do not recall any mention of anyone telling Scott how to run a war.
        And he was an experienced general -- I doubt that anyone needed to give
        him ideas about how to run a war.

        There were similar claims for a Marylander named Anna Carroll (? I may
        have the name wrong) who claimed that she gave Lincoln the idea for the
        Tennessee/Cumberland Campaign.

        But some things are so obvious -- John Sherman recalled going to visit
        his brother early in the war and finding Cump and Thomas crawling around
        on the floor on a huge map of the United States, "talking shop" about
        how *they* would defeat the Rebels. As the senator remembered the story,
        his brother and Thomas basically outlined the way the war turned out.

        The secret was not in figuring out the strategy, but in finding the man
        or men who would be able to carry out the plan. It took a while but
        Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan and a few others, Lincoln finally found
        the men who imposed their will on the armies.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        Hello addison, please do share that. I'll caution you, tho', that
        family traditions are a bit touchy, you know, everyone in the family
        cherishes them and all; but sometimes they are a bit hard to confirm.
        Carl aka Unre, etc

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Well, if this isn't too late, I want too add something.
        >
        > Family history records that we are related to the Scotts, and that
        my Great Great Grandmother was the one to actually give General Scott
        the idea for the 'Anaconda Plan'. My Grandfather has the full
        details, but from what I remember, she was at a dinner party with
        him, and he was telling her about the plans for the war against the
        Confederacy. She then asked "well why don't you just cut them off
        from everything?" When he asked what she meant, she gave him the
        basic idea for what became the 'Anaconda Plan.' If you want the full
        details, my Grandfather has them all!