Fw: Message Of The Pope To the United States

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14 10:18 PM

      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
      Dear Brothers and Sisters in the United States of America,

      The grace and peace of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with
      all of you! In just a few days from now, I shall begin my apostolic
      visit to your beloved country. Before setting off, I would like to offer
      you a heartfelt greeting and an invitation to prayer. As you know, I
      shall only be able to visit two cities: Washington and New York. The
      intention behind my visit, though, is to reach out spiritually to all
      Catholics in the United States. At the same time, I earnestly hope that
      my presence among you will be seen as a fraternal gesture towards every
      ecclesial community, and a sign of friendship for members of other
      religious traditions and all men and women of good will. The risen Lord
      entrusted the Apostles and the Church with his Gospel of love and peace,
      and his intention in doing so was that the message should be passed on
      to all peoples.

      At this point I should like to add some words of thanks, because I am
      conscious that many people have been working hard for a long time, both
      in Church circles and in the public services, to prepare for my journey.
      I am especially grateful to all who have been praying for the success of
      the visit, since prayer is the most important element of all. Dear
      friends, I say this because I am convinced that without the power of
      prayer, without that intimate union with the Lord, our human endeavours
      would achieve very little. Indeed this is what our faith teaches us. It
      is God who saves us, he saves the world, and all of history. He is the
      Shepherd of his people. I am coming, sent by Jesus Christ, to bring you
      his word of life.

      Together with your Bishops, I have chosen as the theme of my journey
      three simple but essential words: "Christ our hope". Following in the
      footsteps of my venerable predecessors, Paul VI and John Paul II, I
      shall come to United States of America as Pope for the first time, to
      proclaim this great truth: Jesus Christ is hope for men and women of
      every language, race, culture and social condition. Yes, Christ is the
      face of God present among us. Through him, our lives reach fullness, and
      together, both as individuals and peoples, we can become a family united
      by fraternal love, according to the eternal plan of God the Father. I
      know how deeply rooted this Gospel message is in your country. I am
      coming to share it with you, in a series of celebrations and gatherings.
      I shall also bring the message of Christian hope to the great Assembly
      of the United Nations, to the representatives of all the peoples of the
      world. Indeed, the world has greater need of hope than ever: hope for
      peace, for justice, and for freedom, but this hope can never be
      fulfilled without obedience to the law of God, which Christ brought to
      fulfilment in the commandment to love one another. Do to others as you
      would have them do to you, and avoid doing what you would not want them
      to do. This "golden rule" is given in the Bible, but it is valid for all
      people, including non-believers. It is the law written on the human
      heart; on this we can all agree, so that when we come to address other
      matters we can do so in a positive and constructive manner for the
      entire human community.

      Dirijo un cordial saludo a los católicos de lengua española y les
      manifiesto mi cercanía espiritual, en particular a los jóvenes, a los
      enfermos, a los ancianos y a los que pasan por dificultades o se sienten
      más necesitados. Les expreso mi vivo deseo de poder estar pronto con
      Ustedes en esa querida Nación. Mientras tanto, les aliento a orar
      intensamente por los frutos pastorales de mi inminente Viaje Apostólico
      y a mantener en alto la llama de la esperanza en Cristo Resucitado.

      Dear brothers and sisters, dear friends in the United States, I am very
      much looking forward to being with you. I want you to know that, even if
      my itinerary is short, with just a few engagements, my heart is close to
      all of you, especially to the sick, the weak, and the lonely. I thank
      you once again for your prayerful support of my mission. I reach out to
      every one of you with affection, and I invoke upon you the maternal
      protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

      Que la Virgen María les acompañe y proteja. Que Dios les bendiga.

      May God bless you all.

      April 8, 2008
      Holy See Press Office

      Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15 9:13 AM
        too much of a focus on the Eastern theater again!