Re: [civilwarwest] Re: what constitutes the "western theater"

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
      I use Shotgun's definition: Anything involving Lee and what would become the Army of Northern Virginia is Eastern Theater. Anything not involving same was Western. "Western," for purposes of this board, can also be subdivided into Trans-Mississippi and Far West, but they're still Western.

      The definition helps dispel the confusion introduced by Sherman's actions. Neither Lee nor his army was involved; therefore it was Western Theater.

      ken

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        I agree. But outside this forum, these terms mean something to
        historians, and meant something during the ACW. I am also interested
        in that.

        > I use Shotgun's definition: Anything involving Lee and what would
        become the
        > Army of Northern Virginia is Eastern Theater. Anything not involving
        same
        > was Western. "Western," for purposes of this board
      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
          This question often comes up in this forum.  The reason why I defined it the way I did is so all of us would be singing from the same sheet of music and there would be no mistaking what was acceptable for discussion.  In reality for purposes of organizing the Official Records there were five theaters of operation.  If you want to get a clear definition of each take a look at the "National Archives Guide Index, Volume 1, Section D--The Breakdown of Series I By Theaters of Operation".  Concerning the Western Theater it says:

          Main Western Theater:
          Kentucky, except for some operations west of the Tennessee River, Aug. 2--Nov. 7, 1861, that were immediately connected with operations in Missouri. Southwest Virginia from Nov. 19, 1861. Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. Louisiana until Dec. 31, 1863.
          Western Florida from Sept. 1, 1861, to Dec. 31, 1863, and from Jan. 1, 1865.  Northern Georgia from Aug. 11, 1863 (nominally, actually from July 1, 1861), Central Georgia from Jan. 1, 1865. Western North Carolina from about Sept. 16, 1863. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio on occasion. Operations in Arkansas connected with Union movements against and siege of Vicksburg, Miss., Dec. 20, 1862-July 4, 1863.

          As I said, the definitions contained in the Index were used for organizing the Official Records.  As in most things concerning the Civil War the more you dig, the more layers you find :-)  I hope this helps a little.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com

          mailto:civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com

          mailto:civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com