Re: what constitutes the "western theater"

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Troy" <cav1848@...> wrote:

      > im currently reading "the american Iliad" and they reference the
      > western theater as being chickamauga and chatanooga battles.I guess i
      > never thought of these as such. am i insane? maybe i dont knwo what
      > constitutes the western theater, is there a defined boundry? i always
      > thought of the western theater as: western tenessee- Shiloh, maybe
      > Nashville and Stones River, Mississippi campaigns obviously Arkansas
      > and Missouri campagins and even the Far western campaigns in Texas
      and
      > Arizona
      > i spose there is a degree of interpretation
      > thanx

      At the time of the Civil War the Western theater was generally
      considered anything west of the Alleghenies and east of the
      Mississippi. The far west was generally considered west of the
      Mississippi up to and including California and was called "Trans
      Mississippi."

      Don
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        this may come from being a wargamer, but I have a concept that the
        "Far West" was basically what we now call the "West" and the Trans
        Mississippi was Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Indian Territory
        (Okla.) and parts of Texas. So a F.W. action would be, say, Glorietta
        Pass, while Wilson's Creek was in the Trans-miss. Or was there no such
        distinction?

        > At the time of the Civil War the Western theater was generally
        > considered anything west of the Alleghenies and east of the
        > Mississippi. The far west was generally considered west of the
        > Mississippi up to and including California and was called "Trans
        > Mississippi."
        >

        > Don

      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
          Actually, the areas were divided quite clearly.  West of the Mississippi River was the Trans-Mississippi, also called the far west.  The west was the Mississippi River to the Alleghenies.  This clear distinction of regions became clouded when, in 1864, the fighting arrived in Georgia.  This area was now part of the west with the Army of Tennessee operating in Georgia and South Carolina.  At this time of the war, did it really matter what they were called?
          Ron
          this may come from being a wargamer, but I have a concept that the
          "Far West" was basically what we now call the "West" and the Trans
          Mississippi was Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Indian Territory
          (Okla.) and parts of Texas. So a F.W. action would be, say, Glorietta
          Pass, while Wilson's Creek was in the Trans-miss. Or was there no such
          distinction?

          .

          Checked by AVG.
        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
            I use Shotgun's definition: Anything involving Lee and what would become the Army of Northern Virginia is Eastern Theater. Anything not involving same was Western. "Western," for purposes of this board, can also be subdivided into Trans-Mississippi and Far West, but they're still Western.

            The definition helps dispel the confusion introduced by Sherman's actions. Neither Lee nor his army was involved; therefore it was Western Theater.

            ken

          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
              I agree. But outside this forum, these terms mean something to
              historians, and meant something during the ACW. I am also interested
              in that.

              > I use Shotgun's definition: Anything involving Lee and what would
              become the
              > Army of Northern Virginia is Eastern Theater. Anything not involving
              same
              > was Western. "Western," for purposes of this board
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                This question often comes up in this forum.  The reason why I defined it the way I did is so all of us would be singing from the same sheet of music and there would be no mistaking what was acceptable for discussion.  In reality for purposes of organizing the Official Records there were five theaters of operation.  If you want to get a clear definition of each take a look at the "National Archives Guide Index, Volume 1, Section D--The Breakdown of Series I By Theaters of Operation".  Concerning the Western Theater it says:

                Main Western Theater:
                Kentucky, except for some operations west of the Tennessee River, Aug. 2--Nov. 7, 1861, that were immediately connected with operations in Missouri. Southwest Virginia from Nov. 19, 1861. Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. Louisiana until Dec. 31, 1863.
                Western Florida from Sept. 1, 1861, to Dec. 31, 1863, and from Jan. 1, 1865.  Northern Georgia from Aug. 11, 1863 (nominally, actually from July 1, 1861), Central Georgia from Jan. 1, 1865. Western North Carolina from about Sept. 16, 1863. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio on occasion. Operations in Arkansas connected with Union movements against and siege of Vicksburg, Miss., Dec. 20, 1862-July 4, 1863.

                As I said, the definitions contained in the Index were used for organizing the Official Records.  As in most things concerning the Civil War the more you dig, the more layers you find :-)  I hope this helps a little.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com

                mailto:civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com

                mailto:civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com