Category: "Probably shouldnt admit this" ... Re: Tullahoma

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
      I'm afraid the word "Tullahoma" has baffled me for some time now. Kind
      of checking up on it recently, I think I may have this right, but I am
      sure more than one person here can confirm this?

      It seems to be that the campaign for Middle Tennessee of 1863, which
      included the Battle of Murfreesboro, is referred to as the Tullahoma
      Campaign. Not sure why that Tennessee city gets the honors, though.
    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
        In a message dated 3/15/2008 7:57:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:

        I'm afraid the word "Tullahoma" has baffled me for some time now. Kind
        of checking up on it recently, I think I may have this right, but I am
        sure more than one person here can confirm this?

        It seems to be that the campaign for Middle Tennessee of 1863, which
        included the Battle of Murfreesboro, is referred to as the Tullahoma
        Campaign. Not sure why that Tennessee city gets the honors, though.

        The Tullahoma Campaign was Rosecrans advance to Chattanooga from his base at Murfeesboro, which had been captured as aresult of the battle of Stones River at New Years 1862-63.  It was a three forward movement thru the mountain gaps in TN brilliantly designed to confuse Bragg of Rosecrans main thrust.  It is probably Rosecrans finest achievement.

        Kent Dorr

      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
          Carl;
          The Tullahoma Campaign of summer, 1863 was the series of operations that began with the advance of the federal army from Murfreesboro, south into the center of the state and down to the Tennessee river.  Later, the campaign became the Chickamauga campaign and battle in September, 1863.  This army was commanded by General Rosecrans and was opposed by the confederate Army of Tennessee commanded by General Bragg.  Murfreesboro had nothing to do with this campagn except as the starting point and the supply point to the federal army.  Rosecrans was probably at his best in this campaign as he completely manevered Bragg's army out of Tennessee.
          Ron

          I'm afraid the word "Tullahoma" has baffled me for some time now. Kind
          of checking up on it recently, I think I may have this right, but I am
          sure more than one person here can confirm this?

          It seems to be that the campaign for Middle Tennessee of 1863, which
          included the Battle of Murfreesboro, is referred to as the Tullahoma
          Campaign. Not sure why that Tennessee city gets the honors, though.

          Checked by AVG.
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
            Thanks for the replies, and looks like the two replies were in agreement.

            Is there not a town of Tullahoma? why was the campaign named for it?
          • Joseph R. Reinhart
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
              There is a town named Tullahoma. It was Bragg's headquarters and a supply depot.
              Joe�
              -------------- Original message from "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@...>: --------------

            • lilsteve68@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
                Tullahoma  was also  a training ground during  WWII  but that's  for a different board..  : )
                The area  was called Camp Forrest  after  N.B.  Forrest  If I recall

                Steven cone

              • Art Bagley
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2008
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, lilsteve68@... wrote:

                  > Tullahoma was also a training ground during WWII but that's
                  for a
                  > different board.. : )
                  > The area was called Camp Forrest after N.B. Forrest If I recall
                  >
                  > Steven cone

                  In the renowned Ken Burns ACW series, there was the common soldier's
                  interpretation of the word Tullahoma. Since Bragg was forced out of
                  that place during a very rainy period of weather, some unnamed wag of
                  the Army of Tennessee described the name Tullahoma as deriving from
                  two Greek words, "tulla" which meant mud and "homa" which meant MORE
                  mud.

                  I always get a chuckle out of that. The simplified yet educated and
                  wholly realistic view of the world by a common soldier.

                  ArtorBart