Re: General Shelby

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008
      I think so. I have gone back to referring to the book that quoted the
      60,000 man army bit; you may have missed that original message, and of
      course it is bad form on my part not to make it clear what I am
      referring to, sorry.

      That book is "General Jo Shelby: Undefeated Rebel" by Daniel O'Flaherty

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "guitarmandanga"
      <iceman1977_01@...> wrote:

      > Uh...are we talking about the same thing here?

    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008

        > well, if we've slowed down a bit, reading a book about Shelby and
        > looks like will be able to post here some stuff. ["General Jo Shelby:
        > Undefeated Rebel"]
        >
        > Already have come across a statement that I'll have to check out: a
        > claim that the CS Army of the Trans-miss was 60,000 strong at its
        > peak. That sound right?

        Sounds right for the entire force in the Trans-Miss, including all
        garrisons and subcommands. In the spring of 1864, the number was
        41,000 as enumerated by Steven Newton in the book "Lost For The
        Cause". Problem was that the force was so widely distributed that
        around 15,000 was the most ever brought into any battle in the tRans-
        Miss.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 5:11 AM
          Reading "Jo Shelby, Undefeated Rebel," now adding to the list of "I
          didn't know that" is Shelby's capture of the QUEEN CITY tinclad,
          reminiscent of some of Forrest's feats (I always enjoy reading about
          the surprise capture of Fed gunboats).

          here is an account:
          http://tinyurl.com/2vaarf

          see also:
          http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-q/quen-cty.htm

          Seems the White River in Arkansas was an unlucky place for the Union
          Navy, they also lost the City Class MOUND CITY there IIRC.