Re: [civilwarwest] Campaign for Atlanta: 3/27-3/30: seats available

  • Gerald Doolen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2008
      2008Mar13
      Thanks for the notice; this is just the tour I've been looking for !  Sorry I can't make this year; would like to receive notice of future tours. Is this a regular event ?
      Would also be interested in tours of Mission Ridge, March to Sea, etc., etc.

      eventhorizon7001 <civilwarforum@...> wrote:
      Sherman's 1864 Campaign for Atlanta
      12th Civil War Forum Battlefield Conference
      March 27-30, 2008

      There's still time to get one of the remaining seats on the bus for the Civil War Forum's
      annual gathering. This year we have another stellar lineup of guides and speakers to cover
      one of the war's critical campaigns. Civil War Forum conferences remain an unparalleled
      bargain—the most authoritative guides, two full and two half days of tours, three dinner
      presentations, and two lunches—for significantly less than for-profit tours (see
      registration info below).

      Contact: David Woodbury: civilwarforum@ mac.com
      http://community. netscape. com/civilwar

      EVENING EVENTS:
      We begin gathering in the hotel conference room each evening (Thurs., Fri., Sat.) for an
      informal reception between 6:00-7:00 p.m. This is a great time to have a glass of wine or
      Rebel Yell, mingle with your fellow attendees, study maps, and check out the donated
      raffle items. At 7:00 p.m. we'll sit down to a catered buffet, before enjoying a talk by one
      of our featured speakers at 8:00 p.m.

      EVENING SPEAKERS:
      -> Thursday: Dr. Steven Woodworth of Texas Christian University, author of Decision in
      the Heartland: The Civil War in the West, Jefferson Davis and his Generals: The Failure of
      Confederate Command in the West, and many other important Civil War studies.
      -> Friday: Dr. John Fowler of Kennesaw State University, author of The Confederate
      Experience Reader, and Mountaineers in Gray: Nineteenth Tennessee Volunteer Infantry
      Regiment, C.S.A.
      [Friday will also feature a special presentation by Russell Bonds, author of Stealing the
      General, during our visit to the Southern Museum to see the General —the locomotive
      stolen by Andrews's Raiders in the "Great Locomotive Chase"]
      -> Saturday: Dr. Steven Davis, noted Atlanta Campaign historian, author of Atlanta Will
      Fall: Sherman, Joe Johnston and the Yankee Heavy Battalions, and numerous articles and
      essays, and long-time book review editor of Blue & Gray Magazine.

      TOURS:
      THURSDAY afternoon, March 27: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m: (via carpool) Atlanta History
      Center. For the first hour, Director Gordon Jones will give us a private presentation in the
      auditorium with a display of some of the treasures from the spectacular George Wray
      collection, then will turn us loose to view the Turning Point gallery—he'll remain on hand
      as our guide, and to answer questions. The Wray and Turning Point collections are among
      the best collections of Civil War artifacts in the nation.

      FRIDAY, March 28: 7:00 a.m: —Reseca to Kennesaw—First of all, a word of warning: this
      will be the longest day of the weekend. I have tried to strike a balance between seeing the
      critical fields of this campaign, and not running everyone ragged. That morning we'll board
      the bus bright and early and head straight for the battlefield at Resaca, there to meet up
      with local volunteers for interpretation, including Ken Padgett, president of the Friends of
      Reseca. We'll see the earthworks at Fort Wayne where the first shots of the battle book
      place, get an overview of the proposed park, and visit Snake Creek Gap—the subject of
      innumerable, and interminable internet arguments between detractors and defenders of
      Sherman and Thomas. Most of the preserved 550-acre Reseca battlefield site is un-
      improved, without even roads, and to see the entrenchments requires a half mile walk
      followed by a vigorous climb through heavy woods. Next time we visit, hopefully the
      access will be improved.

      From there we'll work our way to Pickett's Mill to see one of the most pristine Civil War
      battlefields in the country, and the scenes of savage slaughter. State Park historian James
      Wooten will be our guide for the Pickett's Mill portion of the morning. We'll have lunch at
      the picnic area there.

      After lunch, we'll follow one of the main historic routes, heading east on Due West Road
      toward Kennesaw Mountain, pass Gilgal Church, and make a stop at Pine Mountain for a
      few words at the site of the death of Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk. Soon after we'll stop at the
      Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Visitor Center, there to see a very good (20-
      min.) interpretive film, and spend about 45 minutes looking at what Ed Bearss says is the
      finest Civil War museum at any of the National Park sites. You'll be able to satisfy your
      bookstore fix here as well. National Park Service historian Willie Johnson will guide us for
      the rest of the afternoon. The museum exhibits contain a lot of text, and the majority of
      the artifacts on display are site related, many ID'd to participants in the battle, so we'll
      take our time with that. From there, we'll bus to the top of the mountain to get an
      understanding of the terrain, before heading over to Cheatham Hill and other points.

      SATURDAY, March 29: —Chattahoochee River Line, Battle of Peachtree Creek, Battle of
      Atlanta—We are fortunate to have Charlie Crawford, highly regarded tour guide, and
      president of the Georgia Battlefields Association, as our guide for the full day on Saturday.
      Steve Davis and Gordon Jones will also be on the bus to add color commentary. Our rough
      itinerary for the day: we'll begin with the Fort Drive Shoupades or Vinings Hill, from which
      Sherman first saw the church spires of Atlanta, and visit at least one of the Chattahoochee
      crossing sites: Paces Ferry or Powers Ferry. We'll do a drive-by of some of the Confederate
      Outer Line (Loring Heights, which was part of the starting position for the Peachtree Creek
      assault), and also drive through Brookwood Hills to see the Confederate initial advance,
      then follow 28th Street to see the Stevens marker, and stop at Tanyard Creek Park for the
      bulk of the commentary about Peachtree Creek. Later, in the Battle of Atlanta area, we'll
      see the Walker monument, and stop at the McPherson monument to explain the struggle
      for Leggett's Hill. We'll also stop at the Carter Center and walk to the site of the
      Confederate breakthrough on the afternoon of 22 July 1864.

      SUNDAY, March 30: (via carpool) Optional outing to 1) historic Oakland Cemetery to see
      the graves of several notable residents, including that of General John B. Gordon, and
      Margaret Mitchell. From there we'll head to 2) the Atlanta Cyclorama for a guided tour
      (including the Cyclorama painting, and the locomotive Texas – the locomotive that chased
      the General in the Great Locomotive Chase). At this last stop, I'll need people to pay their
      own entrance fee: for our group, it will be $6 per person [entry fees at Pickett's Mill,
      Kennesaw NBP, Southern Museum, and Atlanta History Center are including in your
      registration] .

      At approximately noon, we'll call it quits until next year.

      HEADQUARTERS:
      Comfort Suites Hotel • Perimeter Center
      6110 Peachtree Dunwoody
      Atlanta, GA 30328 Tel: 770-828-0330
      http://www.atlantac omfortsuites. com/

      Cost: $250: includes all tours, three evening dinner presentations, two box lunches,
      entrance to all parks and museums (except Cyclorama on Sunday morning). Does not
      cover your lodging. Registration can be made by PayPal (request an invoice:
      civilwarforum@ mac.com), or by check or money order to David Woodbury, P.O. Box 19130,
      Stanford, CA 94309.

      ============ ========
      The following books by our featured speakers can be pre-ordered by email
      (civilwarforum@ mac.com), and picked up and paid for at the conference. Authors will
      personally inscribe your copies. Save on shipping, get a signed copy, and enjoy the
      opportunity to engage the authors in discussion.

      Atlanta Will Fall: Sherman, Joe Johnston, and the Yankee Heavy Battalions (American Crisis
      Series, No. 3), by Stephen Davis: $24.95 (pbk)

      Mountaineers In Gray: The Nineteenth Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment, C. S. A. by
      John D. Fowler: $34.00 (hardcover)

      Decision in the Heartland: The Civil War in the West (Reflections on the Civil War Era) by
      Steven E. Woodworth (2008): $40.00 (hardcover)

      Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor, by Russell
      Bonds: $30.00 (hardcover)
      ============ ========

      Some interesting resources:

      Pickett's Mill State Historic Park
      http://www.gastatep arks.org/ info/picketts/

      Ambrose Bierce on The Crime at Pickett's Mill
      http://www.online- literature. com/bierce/ 1991/

      Russell Bonds article on Bishop Polk
      http://www.historyn et.com/wars_ conflicts/ american_ civil_war/ 3038721.html

      Georgia Battlefields Association