Re: General Shelby

  • guitarmandanga
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
      Uh...are we talking about the same thing here?

      > INteresting that this seems to have been a well circulated myth.
      > Historians would certainly know it was wrong, so probably survived
      > with other writers like this author.
      >
      > Sometimes shows its age ... written in 1954 by a Richmond writer,
      some
      > statements aren't too PC for today. But readability is good.
      >
      > > William C. Davis mentioned a figure like this in an essay
      in "The
      > > Cause Lost: Myths and Realities of the Confederacy", concerning
      the
      > > Trans-Mississippi Theater. The argument he was addressing was
      > > whether or not the Confederacy could---or should---have
      abandoned it
      > > and at least attempteded to move these forces east of the
      > > Mississippi to help with the more decisive campaigns. He
      pointed
      > > out that, of the 60,000 men, likely less than half were present
      for
      > > duty, and of the remaining 30,000, even assuming that the
      majority
      > > of them would have wanted to leave to help their comrades in
      arms
      > > across the River---a far-from-foregone conclusion---the means to
      > > concentrate them effectively into a large fighting force, even
      > > within the Trans-MS, were simply not there (very little
      > > infrastructure, almost no consolidation of supply departments,
      > > etc.), to say nothing of trying to get them into Mississippi or
      > > Louisiana. Plus there was the political fallout that would
      likely
      > > have resulted from this sort of "abandonment". So they were
      sort of
      > > stuck: they had a sizeable army in the Trans-MS in terms of
      numbers,
      > > but they couldn't bring it altogether in one place for a
      campaign
      > > there, nor could they move it elsewhere.

    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008
        I think so. I have gone back to referring to the book that quoted the
        60,000 man army bit; you may have missed that original message, and of
        course it is bad form on my part not to make it clear what I am
        referring to, sorry.

        That book is "General Jo Shelby: Undefeated Rebel" by Daniel O'Flaherty

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "guitarmandanga"
        <iceman1977_01@...> wrote:

        > Uh...are we talking about the same thing here?

      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008

          > well, if we've slowed down a bit, reading a book about Shelby and
          > looks like will be able to post here some stuff. ["General Jo Shelby:
          > Undefeated Rebel"]
          >
          > Already have come across a statement that I'll have to check out: a
          > claim that the CS Army of the Trans-miss was 60,000 strong at its
          > peak. That sound right?

          Sounds right for the entire force in the Trans-Miss, including all
          garrisons and subcommands. In the spring of 1864, the number was
          41,000 as enumerated by Steven Newton in the book "Lost For The
          Cause". Problem was that the force was so widely distributed that
          around 15,000 was the most ever brought into any battle in the tRans-
          Miss.
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
            Reading "Jo Shelby, Undefeated Rebel," now adding to the list of "I
            didn't know that" is Shelby's capture of the QUEEN CITY tinclad,
            reminiscent of some of Forrest's feats (I always enjoy reading about
            the surprise capture of Fed gunboats).

            here is an account:
            http://tinyurl.com/2vaarf

            see also:
            http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-q/quen-cty.htm

            Seems the White River in Arkansas was an unlucky place for the Union
            Navy, they also lost the City Class MOUND CITY there IIRC.