Re: DH Hill at Dug Gap

  • mgrad29
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, LWhite64@... wrote:

      > Hill was being difficult. Cleburne was not sick, but the gap was
      obstructed.

      > Lee
      >

      > **************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money
      &
      > Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)

      So what is it then, Hill just being Hill, or did he have some agenda?

      Thanks

      Marc
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
        I think it was just Hill being his negative self.

        Lee

      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
          In a message dated 3/10/2008 8:11:54 PM Central Standard Time, mgrad29@... writes:

          So what's the general feeling on DH Hill's performance at Dug Gap
          during the Chickamauga campaign?

          From some limited reading it appears to me that if Hill would have
          shown a bit more fire in getting his Corps through the Pigeon Mt. gaps
          that Hindman might in turn have kept his nerve and followed through on
          initiating the attack on Negley in McLemore's Cove.

          Hill gave a series of excuses: Cleburne being sick, too much debris in
          dug gap to get through quickly, etc...were these excuses legitimate or
          was Hill just being difficult?

          Marc,

          Lee already  commented on Cleburne likely not really being sick. No other source reports that.

          Personally, I think Hill was panicked. His comment the day before, riding out to Dug Gap, was that it was "South Mountain all over again." In other words, he was thinking he was facing overwhelming numbers with just a handful of troops. In reality, the opposite was true - He, Buckner and Hindman could bring more than 20,000 Rebels to bear on between 6-10,000 Federals under Negley, later reinforced by Baird.

          All of the reasons usually cited for Lee wanting to get rid of Hill in the ANV are at play during the Chickamauga campaign: He is a constant complainer, a difficult subordinate, sometimes slow to act if he doesnt agree, etc.

          Hill was no great addition to the AOT.

          Dave Powell

        • mgrad29
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
            > Marc,
            >
            > Lee already commented on Cleburne likely not really being sick. No
            other
            > source reports that.
            >
            > Personally, I think Hill was panicked. His comment the day before,
            riding out
            > to Dug Gap, was that it was "South Mountain all over again." In
            other words,
            > he was thinking he was facing overwhelming numbers with just a
            handful of
            > troops. In reality, the opposite was true - He, Buckner and Hindman
            could bring
            > more than 20,000 Rebels to bear on between 6-10,000 Federals under
            Negley, later
            > reinforced by Baird.
            >
            > All of the reasons usually cited for Lee wanting to get rid of Hill
            in the
            > ANV are at play during the Chickamauga campaign: He is a constant
            complainer, a
            > difficult subordinate, sometimes slow to act if he doesnt agree,
            etc.

            > Hill was no great addition to the AOT.
            >
            > Dave Powell

            Thanks Dave (and Lee for earlier answers)

            That sounds reasonable. From the sources I recently read (Turchin,
            Woodworth, Robertson in a recent Blue & Gray, and Hill's own essay
            from B&L) none of them really spoke to WHY they might have thought
            Hill acted the way he did, except that some commented that Cleburne
            was in fact not sick, and that the debris in Dug Gap was not enough
            to slow down Infantry for more than a few hours.

            I didn't really expect to get the straight answer from Hill's essay,
            but it was interesting none the less to see him try to defend his
            apparant insubordination.

            Thanks,

            Marc