RE: [civilwarwest] Big Dogs

  • kamills
    Message 1 of 127 , Jun 1 10:48 AM
      Bob

      I don't know if this belongs in this group or not, but here goes.

      The will was still very much alive in the Confederacy. Lee
      surrendered at Appomattox because he had no other choice. If he
      continued to fight, his entire army would be annihilated. He was
      completely surrounded and throurough outnumbered. Most of the
      soldiers didn't want to surreneder. They wanted to continue the
      war indefinately and fight as guerrillas. The only reason this
      did not happen is the army had total respect for Lee (whether you
      like him or not, you can't deny that fact) and this respect is
      what prevailed.

      The American "Revolutionists" never encountered this. They were
      never faced with the prospect of total annihilation or surrender.
      That is the only reason they held out for 8 years.

      Plus, we can't ignore the fact of the French during the American
      War for Independence. Without them, the American cause was doomed
      to fail. Had the BRitish come in on the Southern side,
      their "will" would be as great today as the American colonists
      during their will for independence, but it is because they lost
      that the Confederate "will" seems to be lacking.

      Lets not forget that most of the South was destroyed as a result
      of the war whereas during the American War for Independence, the
      British did not destroy the country like the Union during the
      Civil War (granted, there are cases in where they did, but they
      did not destroy to the extent of the Union).

      Thank you
      Andy

      Don't forget that the American Revolutionists fought on for eight
      years -- while the Confederacy died after only four. The will was
      not there.

      Take care,

      Bob
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 127 of 127 , Jul 7, 2001
        I would second Carl. Grandpa's knee is a wonderful place to learn to
        love history but often a terrible place to learn accurate history.

        I do not recall any mention of anyone telling Scott how to run a war.
        And he was an experienced general -- I doubt that anyone needed to give
        him ideas about how to run a war.

        There were similar claims for a Marylander named Anna Carroll (? I may
        have the name wrong) who claimed that she gave Lincoln the idea for the
        Tennessee/Cumberland Campaign.

        But some things are so obvious -- John Sherman recalled going to visit
        his brother early in the war and finding Cump and Thomas crawling around
        on the floor on a huge map of the United States, "talking shop" about
        how *they* would defeat the Rebels. As the senator remembered the story,
        his brother and Thomas basically outlined the way the war turned out.

        The secret was not in figuring out the strategy, but in finding the man
        or men who would be able to carry out the plan. It took a while but
        Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan and a few others, Lincoln finally found
        the men who imposed their will on the armies.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        Hello addison, please do share that. I'll caution you, tho', that
        family traditions are a bit touchy, you know, everyone in the family
        cherishes them and all; but sometimes they are a bit hard to confirm.
        Carl aka Unre, etc

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Well, if this isn't too late, I want too add something.
        >
        > Family history records that we are related to the Scotts, and that
        my Great Great Grandmother was the one to actually give General Scott
        the idea for the 'Anaconda Plan'. My Grandfather has the full
        details, but from what I remember, she was at a dinner party with
        him, and he was telling her about the plans for the war against the
        Confederacy. She then asked "well why don't you just cut them off
        from everything?" When he asked what she meant, she gave him the
        basic idea for what became the 'Anaconda Plan.' If you want the full
        details, my Grandfather has them all!