RE: [civilwarwest] Re: The Anaconda Myth

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 127 , Jun 1, 2001
      Grant lost fewer men from Belmont through Chattanooga than Lee did at
      Gettysburg alone. And forced two armies to surrender unconditionally in
      the process.

      So what does that make Lee?

      My problem with the "Butcher" nonsense is the double standard: Grant
      fights Lee and takes --and inflicts -- tremendous casualties and
      destroys the ability of the ANV to conduct offensive operations, tying
      them into the Petersburg trenches, where, as Lee himself put it, it
      became only a matter of time. So Grant is a Butcher.

      But the casualties that Lee inflicted on his own side during two years
      of War, much greater than any, either as a percentage or in absolute
      numbers, than Grant ever suffered, and accomplished nothing except for
      the continued survival of the Confederacy, is held up as a model
      Christian and Soldier.

      When Lee took over the ANV (139 years ago today), the Federals were in
      sight of Richmond's steeples. He forced them back twenty miles down the
      Peninsula but from there on, Lee always ended up on the Rappahannock
      Line, which was the US-CS Virginia Boundary from Johnston's retreat
      there in early 1862 until Grant neatly turned Lee out of the position in
      May 1864.

      And from there all road led only to Appomattox.

      Whose the Butcher?

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6276 Adco@...

      Message 127 of 127 , Jul 7, 2001
        I would second Carl. Grandpa's knee is a wonderful place to learn to
        love history but often a terrible place to learn accurate history.

        I do not recall any mention of anyone telling Scott how to run a war.
        And he was an experienced general -- I doubt that anyone needed to give
        him ideas about how to run a war.

        There were similar claims for a Marylander named Anna Carroll (? I may
        have the name wrong) who claimed that she gave Lincoln the idea for the
        Tennessee/Cumberland Campaign.

        But some things are so obvious -- John Sherman recalled going to visit
        his brother early in the war and finding Cump and Thomas crawling around
        on the floor on a huge map of the United States, "talking shop" about
        how *they* would defeat the Rebels. As the senator remembered the story,
        his brother and Thomas basically outlined the way the war turned out.

        The secret was not in figuring out the strategy, but in finding the man
        or men who would be able to carry out the plan. It took a while but
        Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan and a few others, Lincoln finally found
        the men who imposed their will on the armies.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        Hello addison, please do share that. I'll caution you, tho', that
        family traditions are a bit touchy, you know, everyone in the family
        cherishes them and all; but sometimes they are a bit hard to confirm.
        Carl aka Unre, etc

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Well, if this isn't too late, I want too add something.
        >
        > Family history records that we are related to the Scotts, and that
        my Great Great Grandmother was the one to actually give General Scott
        the idea for the 'Anaconda Plan'. My Grandfather has the full
        details, but from what I remember, she was at a dinner party with
        him, and he was telling her about the plans for the war against the
        Confederacy. She then asked "well why don't you just cut them off
        from everything?" When he asked what she meant, she gave him the
        basic idea for what became the 'Anaconda Plan.' If you want the full
        details, my Grandfather has them all!