Re: [civilwarwest] Vicksburg (Was Re: Grant's aggresiveness)

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 170 , Jun 1, 2001
      In a message dated 5/30/01 1:23:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      kamills@... writes:

      << I thought Franklin is where Hood pretty
      much destroyed his army in those frontal assults. >>
      Andy,
      They are two separate battles yet in some ways, tied together. Hood's army
      was decimated at Franklin but not totally whipped to a point that he could
      not form up and attack again. At Nashville, Thomas not only whipped him to a
      point that either Hood had insuffient troops for have a realistic army, or
      those that fought under Hood had enough and went back home. In the end
      result, historians generally say that appromately only five thousand of
      Hood's Army of Tennessee were able to join up with Johnston in North
      Carolina. Basically, one could say that when Thomas took care of Hood, Hood
      no longer had an army.

      Your obedient servant,
      Wayne
    • David Wall
      Message 170 of 170 , Jan 10, 2006
        Let me shed some light on this.

        If I suffer a wound, it is "very" serious. If a friend suffers a wound, it
        is serious. If you suffer a wound, it may be serious. If an enemy of the
        U.S. (I don't mean Confederates here, that's over and long gone) suffers a
        wound, it isn't serious enough. You see, it depends.

        Now that's my definention of how serious a wound is I think I know what
        Grant meant! It was serious. Your mileage may vary.