Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • Ronald black
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
      No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
      Ron

      From: keeno2@...
      Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

      In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
      Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

      Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    • brainbent
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
        Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
        heading to Savannah.

        He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
        dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
        fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
        State Guard.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

        Time, carlw4514@... writes:
        > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
        didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

        > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
        Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

        ---------
        > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
        AOL Music.

        Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM